64 bit support

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
andrew2110

64 bit support

Post by andrew2110 »

After updating to Unity 4.6.2 I've been having some troubles with Lua, it doesn't seem to recognize that Lua variables are intialized and will break very easily. To remedy this I'm trying to use NLua but that has some build errors (which I've reported to Unity and hoping they can sort it out).

Has anyone else tried experimenting with Dialogue System and  IL2CPP

In an unrelated matter - Is there a good way to work with large databases inside of Unity? It feels like Dialogue System is trying to save the database on every key stroke and now that there's a few thousand lines of dialogue it's a bit torturous adding in any further dialogue.
andrew2110

64 bit support

Post by andrew2110 »

Oh and with NLua and building for 32 bit in XCode I'm getting an error: "ld: library not found for -llua52"
Tony Li

64 bit support

Post by Tony Li »

Hi Andrew,

Are you using IL2CPP for a 64-bit iOS build? If so, you may have to build from source instead of the DLLs. If you try this, back up your project first! Switching from DLLs to source in an existing project is a bit of a pain. Scripts (such as UnityDialogueUI.cs, ConversationTrigger.cs, etc.) in source will have different GUIDs than the same scripts in the DLLs. This means any references to these scripts on your GameObjects will need to be reassigned. If you switch to source and have difficulty reading your dialogue database, use your backup to export it to Chat Mapper XML format. Then use the Chat Mapper Converter to bring it back into your source project.

I'll look into the NLua linking error and the IL2CPP issue. I may need to provide a different set of DLLs, similar to the 64-bit DLLs included in the Unity 5 support package, unless you switch to source.

It's typical for Unity assets to save every change as they happen; this provides the best integrity. But I know what you're talking about. One studio has over half a million words of dialogue spread across several dialogue databases, and I can't say it's fast. For the next version, I'll look into the possibility of only saving every n seconds, plus whenever you close the window, play the game, or switch to another asset.

In the meantime, you could write your new dialogue in a separate dialogue database and use the merge feature to pull it into your primary dialogue database when you're ready to combine them. Or you can use multiple dialogue databases in your project, in which case use the Unique ID Tool make sure the ID numbers are unique across them.
andrew2110

64 bit support

Post by andrew2110 »

Thank you -

This sort of message is typical of the kind of errors I'm getting with IL2CPP builds:

http://pastebin.com/iqBUSLfE

I tried using NLua but that didn't go so well for me, I'll keep trying to get things working though :)
andrew2110

64 bit support

Post by andrew2110 »

Oh and I have switched to using source now and will reconnect all my NPC's manually when I get it working. I'm just not too sure about what to try next to get it working on device
Tony Li

64 bit support

Post by Tony Li »

Are you building IL2CPP for 64-bit iOS? I want to make sure I'm testing the same thing as you.

That error looks like something is happening earlier, which actually makes me hopeful that the problem might be simpler than it looks. Can you set the Dialogue Manager's Debug Level to Info, reproduce the error, and email me the log file?
andrew2110

64 bit support

Post by andrew2110 »

Ah yes sorry, I am building IL2CPP for 64 bit iOS, I'm just rebuilding again now for it and will send you the logs asap.
andrew2110

64 bit support

Post by andrew2110 »

It ended up at 1.2mb but I have now e-mailed you the xcode log file. I'll try to get one from unity and do a diff on the two of the logs to see if that shows anything interesting.
Tony Li

64 bit support

Post by Tony Li »

I got the xcode log file. I'll let you know what I find!