I've updated to Adventure Creator 1.8 and now I got a lot of "missing directive or assembly" errors

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
dgames

I've updated to Adventure Creator 1.8 and now I got a lot of "missing directive or assembly" errors

Post by dgames »

I posted this question on AC forum but I will try here also

I have the project set up with AC + Dialogue System, QuestMachine and LoveHate. Every time I've updated each of these 4 assets they worked fine together but now the project is broken with the last update, the 1.80.

I get like 150 errors similar with

"Assets\AdventureCreator\Scripts\Actions\ActionDialogueSystemAlert.cs(3,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'PixelCrushers' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)"

and

"Assets\AdventureCreator\Scripts\Actions\ActionLoveHateCheckRelationship.cs(4,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'PixelCrushers' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)"

From what I've understood reading the change logs now AC is using addressables? I've tried both adding and removing the Adressable package (it was not in the project) nothing.

I'm stuck because I don't know if maybe the issue is that the three PixelCrusher plugins do not support the 1.8 version?
dgames

Re: I've updated to Adventure Creator 1.8 and now I got a lot of "missing directive or assembly" errors

Post by dgames »

I've tried with a new project.

unity 2022.3.21f1
AC 1.80.0
Dialogue System 2.2.44
Love/Hate 1.10.44
Quest Machine 1.2.44

All is fine till you import the "Adventure Creator Support" package for any of the three assets

then you get the errors :(
Tony Li

Re: I've updated to Adventure Creator 1.8 and now I got a lot of "missing directive or assembly" errors

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

AC added assembly definitions, which can be a real headache for interoperability.

1. Delete Assets/Pixel Crushers/Dialogue System/Third Party Support/Adventure Creator Support.

2. Import the package <b>Assets ► Plugins ► Pixel Crushers ► Dialogue System ► Scripts ► DialogueSystemAssemblyDefinitions.unitypackage</b>. This will import the Dialogue System's assembly definition files, which are required because AC 1.80+ now uses assembly definitions.

3. Import this package:

DS_AdventureCreatorSupport_2024-03-13.unitypackage

4. Inspect the assembly definition file Assets ► Adventure Creator ► Scripts ► AC. Add PixelCrushers and DialogueSystem to the Assembly Definition References list and click Apply.

(This updated package will be in DS 2.2.45.)
dgames

Post by dgames »

Thank You for the fast reply.

After importing the package you have attached I get one weird error

"Platform name 'Bratwurst' not supported."

then when checking

definition file Assets ► Adventure Creator ► Scripts ► AC

there is no PixelCrushers or DialogueSystem in the list of things to be added. only "DialogueSystemAdventureCreatorEditor" which after selecting does nothing for the errors. still the same

edit: I've removed the Bratwurst from DialogueSystemAdventureCreatorEditor.asmdef using Visual Studio. the Bratwurst doesn't show up. But still I don't have the two options to add the list to be added. All errors are the same as before
Last edited by dgames on Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

I missed pasting in a step:

2. Import the package <b>Assets ► Plugins ► Pixel Crushers ► Dialogue System ► Scripts ► DialogueSystemAssemblyDefinitions.unitypackage</b>. This will import the Dialogue System's assembly definition files, which are required because AC 1.80+ now uses assembly definitions.

I added the step above, too.

Bratwurst was the codename for VisionOS. If you update your Unity 2023 version to the latest, it should now show as VisionOS.
dgames

Post by dgames »

Ahh :D there was this other package to be imported. google doesn't work anymore :( two hours of searching.

the errors about the AC vanished but now I get 21 errors about TMPro (I've checked the TMP option in the panel it didn't complained about this before)

Assets\Plugins\Pixel Crushers\Common\Scripts\UI\LocalizeUI.cs(80,16): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'TMPro' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

and about this

Assets\Plugins\Pixel Crushers\Common\Scripts\Save System\SaveSystem.cs(75,36): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'ResourceManagement' does not exist in the namespace 'UnityEngine' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

which I don't know what it is.

Just to be clear I've doing this on a clean project with nothing else into except the 4 assets imported fully as they were.

edit: I have TMP_PRESENT in the project settings Player define symbols

edit: I don't have unity 2023 installed, only 2022

edit3: I've removed TMP_PRESENT in the project settings Player define symbols and the errors about TMP got away (I'm assuming TMP will not be on for the project)

only 2 options remains
Assets\Plugins\Pixel Crushers\Common\Scripts\Save System\SaveSystem.cs(75,36): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'ResourceManagement' does not exist in the namespace 'UnityEngine' (are you missing an assembly reference?)
and
Assets\Plugins\Pixel Crushers\Common\Scripts\Save System\SaveSystem.cs(75,104): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'ResourceManagement' does not exist in the namespace 'UnityEngine' (are you missing an assembly reference?)
Last edited by dgames on Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

They must have started on Bratwurst in Unity 2022.

Add the TextMeshPro asmdef to the 4 Dialogue System asmdefs:

PixelCrushers
PixelCrushersEditor
DialogueSystem
DialogueSystemEditor
dgames

Post by dgames »

I've applied the TMP changes and I've added the TMP_PRESENT to the Project Settings/Player and there are no TMP errors anymore which means that the TMP issue should be fixed.

I can't test it it because I still have the two erros about the "ResourceManagement"
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

If you're not using Addressables, untick the Welcome Window's USE_ADDRESSABLES checkbox.

If you are using Addressables, update to a relatively current version of the Addressables package.
dgames

Post by dgames »

using the same steps I'm trying to fix my main project. (the clean project still has the issue from the previous comment)

I've removed the Love/Hate package because it was not plugged in yet so it become very confusing.

I have DialogueManager and QuestMachine which are both integrated inside AC (they worked fine before)

I've added a bunch of references to various asmdef files (by checking the errors using my logic I don't know what I'm doing actually) BUT I've reduced the errors to 3 errors and I don't know what to do next because anything I do unity will throw an error of circular reference

the errors are
Assets\Plugins\Pixel Crushers\Quest Machine\Third Party Support\Dialogue System Support\Scripts\Editor\PlaySequenceQuestActionEditor.cs(14,50): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'QuestSubassetEditor' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
Assets\Plugins\Pixel Crushers\Quest Machine\Third Party Support\Dialogue System Support\Scripts\Editor\BarkQuestActionEditor.cs(13,42): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'QuestSubassetEditor' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
Assets\Plugins\Pixel Crushers\Quest Machine\Third Party Support\Dialogue System Support\Scripts\Editor\DialogueSystemQuestGiverEditor.cs(13,51): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'QuestGiverEditor' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

NOW!!!

If you are working at a proper update to fix all 3 assets, Dialogue Quest and Love, with AC, and have them all work Between Them when mixed with AC, please don't bother for now with all the mess from this thread, because is not super urgent, I can wait and hope the project will be fixed then.

Important is that they work with all this craziness of asmdef files.