uccAddItem() Error

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
pegassy

uccAddItem() Error

Post by pegassy »

Hello Tony,

I downloaded the most recent version of UCC and DSU for a new project, and also imported the latest UCC-DSU integration package from opsive web site. However, when I call uccAddItem() from a dialogue node the Unity editor freezes. At first, it was just giving an error about UCCSaver (actually four errors, but I cannot see them now). Then I deleted UCC saver, and reinstalled the integration. Now it consistently freezes. I was able to use uccAddItem() successfully in the past.

Is it working on your side? Is there an updated version of the integration for the new DSU release?

Thank you.
pegassy

Re: uccAddItem() Error

Post by pegassy »

I deleted all integration files and reimported. Here is the compiler error (one of the five, but the others are about other functions in UCCSaver):

Assets\Pixel Crushers\Common\Third Party Support\Opsive UCC Support\Scripts\UCCSaver.cs(300,38): error CS1061: 'CameraController' does not contain a definition for 'SetPerspective' and no accessible extension method 'SetPerspective' accepting a first argument of type 'CameraController' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Do I need to reinstall UCC?
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Are you using Ultimate Character Controller or a different Opsive controller? (And yes please try removing it and importing. CameraController.SetPerspective should be available in all Opsive controllers.)

Once you can get it to compile:

I just tested the latest integration again, and it works. I just PM'ed you the latest integration in case you happen to have an older one somehow.

When Unity crashes, are these any errors in the Editor.log?

What is the uccAddItem() command that you're trying to run?

Can you please send reproduction steps (including version numbers of everything including Unity) or a reproduction project/scene?
pegassy

Post by pegassy »

I deleted all of UCC, all of DSU, and all integration, and reimported all of it. Now I am getting the unity crash as soon as I get into trigger enter with an NPC for a bark. The conversation node that it is calling does not have uccAddItem(). I am still getting the same errors while UCCSaver is in the project folder. The errors go away when I delete it, but then Unity crashes.

I am starting a new project and will import UCC, DSU, and integration to test if it works fine.

I am using Unity version 2019.1.0f2. I am not sure if an Error.log is generated since I deactivated Unity from task manager.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

There will probably still be useful information in the Editor.log file even if it cuts off abruptly when you kill Unity.
pegassy

Post by pegassy »

Ok, I started a new project in Unity 2019.1.0f2, with new UCC, new DSU, and the integration file you provided. I added uccAddItem("", "Sword", 1) to the last node in the conversation in the demo scene. I thought the editor crashed while I was typing but after about two minutes the editor came back and provided the following error. Probably if I had waited longer I could get something similar in my original project. However, if the uccAddItem was causing this, i am wondering how I managed to cause it just with the bark node in the original project. I will go back and poke there a little bit.

StackOverflowException: The requested operation caused a stack overflow.
System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () (at <1f0c1ef1ad524c38bbc5536809c46b48>:0)
PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.Sequencer.GetTypeFromName (System.String typeName) (at Assets/Plugins/Pixel Crushers/Dialogue System/Scripts/MVC/Sequencer/Sequencer.cs:714)
PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.Sequencer.FindSequencerCommandType (System.String commandName) (at Assets/Plugins/Pixel Crushers/Dialogue System/Scripts/MVC/Sequencer/Sequencer.cs:702)
PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.Sequencer.FindSequencerCommandType (System.String commandName) (at Assets/Plugins/Pixel Crushers/Dialogue System/Scripts/MVC/Sequencer/Sequencer.cs:702)
PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.Sequencer.FindSequencerCommandType (System.String commandName) (at Assets/Plugins/Pixel Crushers/Dialogue System/<message truncated>
pegassy

Post by pegassy »

Ok, on my project side I still seem to be getting all the compiler errors. This is after I deleted all UCC, DSU, integration, and reinstalled in the same order as the empty project. I am not sure if I get those errors for anything I have changed in the scene (I am not sure if that is possible). Below are the errors in case they may shed some light. I appreciate your help:

Assets\Pixel Crushers\Common\Third Party Support\Opsive UCC Support\Scripts\UCCSaver.cs(109,66): error CS1061: 'CameraController' does not contain a definition for 'CanChangePerspectives' and no accessible extension method 'CanChangePerspectives' accepting a first argument of type 'CameraController' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Assets\Pixel Crushers\Common\Third Party Support\Opsive UCC Support\Scripts\UCCSaver.cs(111,58): error CS1061: 'CameraController' does not contain a definition for 'ActiveViewType' and no accessible extension method 'ActiveViewType' accepting a first argument of type 'CameraController' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Assets\Pixel Crushers\Common\Third Party Support\Opsive UCC Support\Scripts\UCCSaver.cs(111,112): error CS1061: 'CameraController' does not contain a definition for 'FirstPersonViewTypeFullName' and no accessible extension method 'FirstPersonViewTypeFullName' accepting a first argument of type 'CameraController' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Assets\Pixel Crushers\Common\Third Party Support\Opsive UCC Support\Scripts\UCCSaver.cs(298,66): error CS1061: 'CameraController' does not contain a definition for 'CanChangePerspectives' and no accessible extension method 'CanChangePerspectives' accepting a first argument of type 'CameraController' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Assets\Pixel Crushers\Common\Third Party Support\Opsive UCC Support\Scripts\UCCSaver.cs(300,38): error CS1061: 'CameraController' does not contain a definition for 'SetPerspective' and no accessible extension method 'SetPerspective' accepting a first argument of type 'CameraController' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

The hang error is a bug introduced in 2.1.7 that doesn't properly handle the case when a sequencer command doesn't exist. It's fixed in hotfix 20190614 (see this post).

The integration's commands, such as uccAddItem, are Lua functions, not sequencer commands. Make sure to use them in your conversation's Conditions and Script fields, not the Sequence field.

With hotfix 20190614, if you use uccAddItem in a Sequence field it will no longer hang as it did in version 2.1.7. Instead, it will properly report that it can't find any sequencer command "uccAddItem" (because it's a Lua function, not a sequencer command).

Here's an example scene: DS_Test_UCC_2019-06-14.unitypackage

At the end of the conversation, Private Hart gives the player an AssaultRifle and a Sword. It's set up a little funny because the Converse action holsters the player's weapon. To show the weapon as soon as it's given, I set up a timer to give the weapons 1 second after the conversation ends.
pegassy

Post by pegassy »

Oops :)This is one of the sweet moments when I learn that I messed up in a silly way than a complicated manner that will take eons to fix.

Thank you so much for all the help and the hotfix in case I plug in the code in the wrong place :)
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Glad to help!