How to diplay quest log window

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
tezza73

How to diplay quest log window

Post by tezza73 »

Hi Tony,

I cant see how to display the quest log window. I am using the pro wheel UI.

The docs say to call the Open() function but how? and do i add the quest log UI into my scene?

I tried adding to my scene with the hotkey script but when i pressed "J" it paused the game and no UI was displayed.

Appreciate your help.
Tony Li

Re: How to diplay quest log window

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

If the game paused, this probably means the QuestLogWindowHotkey component found the quest log window and called its Open() method when you pressed 'J'. The quest log window pauses the game if its 'Pause While Open' checkbox is ticked. Since the quest log window is a UI, make sure it's inside a Canvas*. When you press 'J', make sure its Main Panel is active, and that it's positioned in a visible area of the Canvas. If so, check the state of its Animator. It's possible that the Animator is misconfigured so it isn't fading in the Canvas Group or something like that.

* If you added the Dialogue Manager prefab from Plugins / Pixel Crushers / Dialogue System / Prefabs, this has a component named Instantiate Prefabs. (This component is optional; feel free to remove it or change it.) By default, it instantiates three UIs into the Dialogue Manager's Canvas. One of the UIs is a generic quest log window. If no quest log window is directly assigned to the QuestLogWindowHotkey component, it will find a quest log window in the scene, such as the one instantiated by the Instantiate Prefabs component, and call its Open() method.
tezza73

Post by tezza73 »

Ok...i got it showing by pressing the hotkey which makes it instantiate the window. My problem was that i had the UI layer unticked in my camera!!!!

I can't get the window to show by pressing a button from my pause menu canvas. I attached the log window object into the events and call the open () method but it doesn't show. It isn't instantiating so i guess thats the issue? Do i have to drag the log window prefab into my scene?

Anyway, ....
1) is it worth buying the quest product if i have the dialogue system?

2)if i buy the love/hate system can i make responses in my chat system determine if a NPC will like or hate the player?
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

tezza73 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:09 pmI can't get the window to show by pressing a button from my pause menu canvas. I attached the log window object into the events and call the open () method but it doesn't show. It isn't instantiating so i guess thats the issue? Do i have to drag the log window prefab into my scene?
Yes, working with an instance in your scene is the easiest way. By default, the Dialogue System's Dont Destroy On Load checkbox is ticked, which makes it survive scene changes. If this is ticked in your project, make sure your pause menu is also Dont Destroy On Load.
tezza73 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:09 pm1) is it worth buying the quest product if i have the dialogue system?
If you prefer to use a node-based editor to create quests, or if you want your project to procedurally generate new quests at runtime, use Quest Machine. If you don't need procedurally-generated quests and don't want to learn another product, use only the Dialogue System. Feel free to download and try the evaluation version in a test project. (tutorials)
tezza73 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:09 pm2)if i buy the love/hate system can i make responses in my chat system determine if a NPC will like or hate the player?
Yes, absolutely.
tezza73

Post by tezza73 »

Thank you Tony...i will add the love / hate package soon....Great support and great asset!
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Thanks! Glad to help.