Quest Giver Dialogue Content through Dialogue System

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for Quest Machine.
nathanj

Quest Giver Dialogue Content through Dialogue System

Post by nathanj »

Hey Tony

I'm guessing the answer to this is along the lines of no, but I'm guessing you will have some other solution that will help.

I'm trying to have a generic prompt like the "No Quest UI Contents" "Body Text" but run through Dialogue System. Is there any way to do this?

A way to tie into a Dialogue Conversation like in the Quests would be fantastic but I'm guessing this is easier said than done.

Thanks again,
Nathan
Tony Li

Re: Quest Giver Dialogue Content through Dialogue System

Post by Tony Li »

Hi Nathan,

In the next update, I'll add a checkbox to run it through the Dialogue System.
nathanj

Post by nathanj »

Hi Tony

EDIT: I found a way to achieve this. I Pasted the Field text in curly brackets in the Dialogue System Conversation node and then attached the Text Table to the NPC's Text Table field in the Quest GIve field and everything works magically.

This is AWESOME. Thank you!

I just watched your newest video on Text Tables. I hadn't thought of using them this way but WOW this is such an incredible help for our type of work flow.

I have one question regarding the display of the text. You had mentioned that you would make it that dialogue prompts from Quest Machine could be displayed through Dialogue System. Would it be possible to have the dialogue fed into Quest Machine from CSV files and then displayed in Dialogue System?

Thanks in advance
Nathan
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi Nathan,

Yes, that will be automatic.

One of the cases we talked about was No Quest UI Contents > Body Text. Instead of typing text manually into No Quest UI Contents > Body Text, you can import CSV into a Text Table, and then assign a Text Table field to No Quest UI Contents > Body Text. Currently that text will appear in a Quest Machine dialogue UI. But with the next update, the QM DS bridge will show it in a runtime-generated Dialogue System conversation instead.
nathanj

Post by nathanj »

Great!

Thanks again,

Nathan
nathanj

Post by nathanj »

Hey again, Tony

Had we discussed the possibility of having a sequencer command option for quest Actions? I have a vague recollection we have discussed this but I’m not sure.

Either way, is this a possible feature to be added? WIth the upcoming DS routing an ability to run sequence commands would be really helpful.

As always, thanks for being so insanely helpful.

Nathan
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi Nathan,

Can you provide more details? The integration might already cover what you need. It adds Lua functions to check and control quest states, and to send messages to the Message System. There's a sequencer command to control a spawner, too.
nathanj

Post by nathanj »

Hey,

Basically to have the same functionality as the sequencer command line from the dialogue system.

Say for example if you wanted to trigger an Audio() command (or any of the dozens of commands) during a conversation. I don’t think this is available from Quest Machine’s editor at the moment.

Does this make sense. I’m away from my computer so I can send you any screen grabs at the moment.

Nathan
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Ah, that makes perfect sense. That's a good idea. I would never have thought of it. I'll add an action that you can add to Quest Machine quests that can run a sequence.
nathanj

Post by nathanj »

Great. Thanks! I love the DS Sequencer.

Nathan