Animations playable on paused Timeline

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
phoot

Animations playable on paused Timeline

Post by phoot »

Hello,

so I've been doing some cutscene work with Timeline and the sequencer commands for a dialogue with some small branching. I would like to be able to play animations (think shaking one's head, sighing, waving hand etc.) on specific dialogue entries while I've set the timeline to speed = 0. I need to halt timeline progression during the whole dialogue, and resume it after finishing said dialogue. But since dialogue duration can wildly vary depending on chosen branches, reading speed etc. I don't know when I should resume the timeline.

So I thought maybe I can directly call animations on each entry as needed. However if I call specific animations with AnimatorPlay() on the desired dialogue entry nodes, nothing happens.

After the last dialogue entry node has been visited, speed is being set back to 1, and timeline progression resumes as expected.

Is it actually possible to achieve this? I'd be glad for any suggestions.
Tony Li

Re: Animations playable on paused Timeline

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

If Timeline is controlling an animator (e.g., a character involved in a conversation), nothing else can control the animator.
phoot

Post by phoot »

Thanks for your clarification Tony. Luckily I asked pretty early, saved me many frustrating hours.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Glad to help!