Issue starting new conversation when changing scenes

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
Scrumbo

Issue starting new conversation when changing scenes

Post by Scrumbo »

Hey there everyone! Development on this voice project that I'm working on is coming to a close, and I have one last tiny issue that I was wondering if I could get some help with!

I have an introductory scene set up to where when the player enters in a code to solve a puzzle, a brief conversation plays. At the end of this conversation, a "puzzle complete" Boolean is changed to true and the game transitions to the next scene. The only issue is that when the next scene loads, the conversation that's supposed to play at start doesn't play, and I receive an error saying that a conversation is already active. If I load into the second scene on its own, everything plays just fine, so I think the handoff is where the issue lies.

I've tried a few things to try and remedy this issue, like stopping all conversations before the next scene loads but nothing seems to work. I think I'm probably missing something silly again, loooool.

Thanks for your help everyone! Hopefully I wont bother yall too much after this!
Tony Li

Re: Issue starting new conversation when changing scenes

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Conversations can span multiple scenes, so make sure to end the previous conversation before the new one starts. For example, if you require the player to click a continue button to advance conversations, and if you're using the LoadLevel() sequencer command to change scenes, add a blank node at the end of the first conversation and set its Sequence to:

Code: Select all

required LoadLevel(your-scene-name);
Continue()
Alternatively, tick the Replace checkbox on the second scene's Dialogue System Trigger.
Scrumbo

Post by Scrumbo »

Hey there tony! We're heading in the right direction, but I've now run into a new issue... When the scene switches over, i get a new error that says "Can't find subtitle panel for NPC"... which is really strange because the scene still plays just fine on start when i load just the scene on it's own. Any ideas?
VoxError1.png
VoxError1.png (13.7 KiB) Viewed 101 times
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Set the Dialogue Manager's Other Settings > Debug Level to Info and check which GameObjects are being used for the actor and conversant. Is it different when you play straight in the scene versus when you come from another scene?

Scrumbo

Post by Scrumbo »

That's the weird part. When i load straight into the scene, the dialogue plays normally. The issue is only when coming from the intro scene to this other scene that it gives me these errors.

One thing i noticed is that this "end of intro" conversation is triggered as apart of a script, and there is no assigned actor/conversant.
voxinfo1.png
voxinfo1.png (5.88 KiB) Viewed 89 times
Then, this "mansion" scene is triggered through a dialogue system trigger component set to "on start" and the proper info is shown
VoxInfo2.png
VoxInfo2.png (24.02 KiB) Viewed 89 times
If it's any help, in this game, the player doesn't really respond to the character. Each node plays in each conversation one by one in these two conversations without any player input, like the character is talking to the player.

Thanks again for the speedy reply, and let me know if I can provide any more info.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

When you leave the first scene, do you see this line in the Console:

Code: Select all

Dialogue System: Conversation ending.
If not, then the first conversation is still active. If so, what's the Sequence of the last node in the conversation?
Scrumbo

Post by Scrumbo »

So, I Do see Dialogue System: Conversation ending.
VoxIssue2.png
VoxIssue2.png (86.83 KiB) Viewed 79 times
There's nothing in the sequence of the last node of the conversation, but there is a bit of script that triggers that ticks a Boolean to true that sends the player to the next scene. Could that have something to do with it?
VoxIssue3.png
VoxIssue3.png (26.37 KiB) Viewed 79 times
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Thanks for posting the screenshot. The issue is that yellow warning. The conversation in the new scene is starting, but it can't figure out what subtitle panel to use. Is the GameObject named "Character" your player? Does it have a Dialogue Actor component? If so, what are the component's Dialogue UI Settings?
Scrumbo

Post by Scrumbo »

That's correct, the "character" is the player character, and in both scenes the character has a dialogue actor component, which looks as follows :
VoxIssue4.png
VoxIssue4.png (35.36 KiB) Viewed 71 times
I haven't messed around with any of the dialogue UI settings yet, they're left at default, if that's any help.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Can you try setting the player's Dialogue Actor component > Actor dropdown to Player? (Or whatever is the name of the player actor in your dialogue database -- that is, the actor whose Is Player checkbox is ticked.)