Dialogue System improvements over Adventure Creator's built-in system

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
thoughtful

Dialogue System improvements over Adventure Creator's built-in system

Post by thoughtful »

I am new to both Adventure Creator, Dialogue System, and game design in general. I am really interested in narrative aspects of games and have been prototyping games and researching the best way to create complex dialogues that make a game experience more unique and engaging. It seems that Dialogue System has a great reputation in this regards (especially with games like Disco Elysium using it).

I setup a basic game prototype in Adventure Creator with some branching stories and dialogues and am now working towards integrating Dialogue System, but there seems to be a lot involved. However, I am not actually sure what benefit I would gain out of an integration with Dialogue System after reviewing the demos and searching the intenet.

I am sure there are benefits, otherwise it wouldn't exist, but at the moment, it isn't clear.

Would someone please help me better understand the benefits that Dialogue System bring over the build-in functionality of Adventure Creator's dialogue support?
Tony Li

Re: Dialogue System improvements over Adventure Creator's built-in system

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

The downside is the extra work of learning an additional asset (Dialogue System) and setting up the integration.

Some of the upsides are:
  • More control over logical branching of conversations based on variables, etc.
  • Ability to import from external editors and formats such as articy:draft, Arcweave, Twine, Yarn Spinner, etc.
  • Integrations with more third party assets such as SALSA LipSync, FaceFX, and Now We're Talking for lipsync animation, RT-Voice, Overtone, and ElevenLabs for text-to-speech voiceover, and integrations with other assets.