Using Adventure Creator Menu to modify Typewriter Speed

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
peachthyme

Using Adventure Creator Menu to modify Typewriter Speed

Post by peachthyme »

Hello again!

I was wondering if there was a best practice way of using Adventure Creator's menus to modify Dialogue System's settings.

In the VN template for Dialogue System, there is a menu panel that includes a slider that adjusts the Typewriter speed. Rather than have a separate menu for that setting, I'd like to bundle it all together within an AC menu. I am having trouble wrapping my head around how to have the AC menu set that value and have it communicate with DS.

I see that AC has its own Text Scroll Speed. My thought was maybe to have the AC slider menu adjust the Text Scroll Speed and then somehow have DS use that value to set the typewriter speed. I am not sure if this is the most straightforward way or if there was already a solution out there that I've overlooked.

Currently my bare bones options menu UI through AC.

Tony Li

Re: Using Adventure Creator Menu to modify Typewriter Speed

Post by Tony Li »

peachthyme wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:04 pmMy thought was maybe to have the AC slider menu adjust the Text Scroll Speed and then somehow have DS use that value to set the typewriter speed.
That's a good idea. If you don't mind waiting, I'll add that to the DS-AC integration in the next version. Otherwise you'll need to write some code that looks at the subtitle panel's Subtitle Text GameObject, gets its AbstractTypewriterEffect (which will pick up the Text or TextMeshPro typewriter effect) and set its Characters Per Second.