default emotional state is "gloating" ?

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for Love/Hate.
NotVeryProfessional

default emotional state is "gloating" ?

Post by NotVeryProfessional »

Just starting to add emotions, and I was surprised that the default emotional state, when PAD values are neutral (at or near 0) is "gloating". That doesn't quite fit to my understanding of the world.

Is this a problem in the OCC that Love/Hate uses, or in Love/Hate ?
Tony Li

Re: default emotional state is "gloating" ?

Post by Tony Li »

Good catch. The OCC model assumes that the FactionMember has some some experiences already that will make some value(s) nonzero. In the next update, I'll add a "Neutral" 0,0,0 value at the top of the list, or maybe a [-5,+5] range for Neutral. (Emotional states are checked from top to bottom, choosing the first one whose ranges fit the PAD values.)
NotVeryProfessional

Post by NotVeryProfessional »

Hm, considering that many of them have quite a wide range - wouldn't it be better to choose "best fit" and not evaluate top-to-bottom?

Just looking at the sliders, for example, you would very rarely get to "Happy for", because "Gratitude" dominates it across I'd roughly estimate 90% of the cases.

Then again, I don't know OCC and how it is supposed to be evaluated.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

That would be a good idea. I'll give it some thought to make sure it won't have a large negative impact on existing projects. If it seems OK to do, I'll implement best fit in the next update.