Non-dialogue deeds

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for Love/Hate.
dancinggoat23

Non-dialogue deeds

Post by dancinggoat23 »

Hi Tony

I have a design related question for you if you don't mind:

Situation: my character encounters an obstacle, such as a thicket of underbrush. This thicket was placed by an enemy, so if the character succeeds in either pushing through the thicket or evading it, I want to report the deed. However, I don't know what the best design for this sort of thing is. I'm not interacting with a UI element that lets me report a deed, and I'm not engaging with dialogue. I'm using game physics, basically.

One thought I had was just to use colliders on the obstacle and have the obstacle do the reporting. The advantage of this approach is that when I add other physics based deeds (e.g. solving a maze, lifting an object, etc) those objects can encapsulate the specifics of the deed rather than forcing me to add many different kinds of reporting scripts to my character.

Thoughts? Am I missing an important design consideration for these kinds of deeds? I believe that for deeds that do involve dialogue or the UI (such as the inventory UI) I can and should report the deed in the character code...

thanks!
Tony Li

Re: Non-dialogue deeds

Post by Tony Li »

You're exactly correct. You could add a tiny script to a trigger collider at the end of the thicket. In an OnTriggerEnter() method, report the deed by calling FactionManager.CommitDeed() or DeedReporter.ReportDeed(). Using a DeedReporter may be more convenient because you can define the attributes of the deed in the inspector ahead of time.

Do the same for a trigger at the end of the maze, or whenever the player swings a sword, or emotes an obscene gesture, or gives out flowers, or whatever gameplay action you want.
dancinggoat23

Post by dancinggoat23 »

Thanks, Tony! Just so you know, your assets form the core of gameplay in my project and I couldn’t be happier :)
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Thanks! I'm glad you're finding the assets helpful! :-)