Lively Chat Bubbles Continue Button

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
MattDan

Lively Chat Bubbles Continue Button

Post by MattDan »

Hi There, first time posting. Big fan of Dialogue System.

So right now I'm trying to integrate Lively Chat Bubbles with Dialogue System into my game. I downloaded the Lively Chat Support package, implemented it, tested it. All seems to be working well.

However I want to make it so the player has to click through each dialogue entry to continue. Ideally the player can continue by clicking anywhere on the screen. I accomplished this in the past by stretching the continue button across the screen and setting it to be invisible.

As far as I can tell, it doesn't seem that Lively Chat Bubbles w/ the Support Package implements a continue button. When I set the Continue Button to: Always Lively Chat doesn't move past the first dialogue entry.

It was a bit hard trying to figure out how to implement the continue button into the Lively Chat prefabs myself. Is there a way to call the continue button from code? Or maybe some work around in Lua?

Any ideas on how to implement a "Continue Button" in Lively Chat Bubbles?

Thank you!
Tony Li

Re: Lively Chat Bubbles Continue Button

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Thanks for using the Dialogue System!

Continue buttons would be a good thing to have, wouldn't they. I just updated the Lively Chat Bubbles integration package on the Dialogue System Extras page.

To set it up so that you can click on the bubble to continue, add a UI Button to the chat bubble or chat bubble prefab. You don't have to hook up the OnClick() event. The integration will take care of it. When I tested, I added a Button that stretched to cover the entire bubble, removed the child Text GameObject, set the Image's alpha to zero (invisible), and set the Button's Transition Type to None.

To set it up so that you can click anywhere on the screen to continue, use a chat bubble instance instead of a prefab. In your main dialogue UI (the one assigned to the Dialogue Manager's Dialogue UI field), add a whole-screen continue button as a child of the Dialogue Panel. Assign this button to the Lively Chat Bubble Subtitle Panel's Continue Button field.
MattDan

Post by MattDan »

Wow, it works great now, thank you so much!
I've come across one more issue with the integration, It doesn't seem like it's reading the rich text from the dialogue entries. I've made sure that Use Rich Text is checked and Lively Chat Bubbles claims to support rich text in the asset store. Not sure if there's something I'm forgetting to do here...

Here's a photo of what I'm talking about.

I appreciate your help!
rich text.png
rich text.png (206.27 KiB) Viewed 2357 times
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

That's a caveat that I should add to the documentation.

The "\." code is an RPG Maker-style code, not rich text. Lively Chat Bubbles doesn't support RPG Maker-style codes.

Lively Chat Bubbles uses its own typewriter effect. It doesn't use the Dialogue System's effect. The Dialogue System's effect is specially written to handle RPG Maker-style codes.
MattDan

Post by MattDan »

Hello again! It's been a few-odd months.

So everything’s been gravy with the Lively Chat Bubble integration, I do have another question about the continue button and typewriter effects:

I’d like to make it so that when I press the continue button while LCB’s ChatBubble is still typing, it fast forwards or skips to the end of the message, rather than skipping past the entire message.

This might be tricky, my understanding is that the continue button passes through the dialogue system, then controls LCB directly through LivelyChatBubbleSubtitlePanel.cs, and as you said: LCB has its own typewriter system that doesn’t go through Dialogue System. Looking through the script for the ChatOutputProcesser, where a majority of LCB's typewriter functionality seems to be located, there doesn't seem to be a built in way for LCB to skip to the end of the message that I can locate at least.

I’m wondering if you know of a way to add continue button functionality similar to that found in StandardUIContinueButtonFastForward.cs to a Dialogue System + Lively Chat Bubble setup?

Thank you!
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Here's an updated integration package that adds an LCBContinueButton script. Add it to your continue button, and configure the Button's OnClick() event to call OnFastForward().

DS_LivelyChatBubblesSupport_2021-06-12.unitypackage
MattDan

Post by MattDan »

It works! Thank you so much, I don't know how you do it. :D
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Happy to help!
zzzz

Post by zzzz »

Tony Li wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:11 am Hi,

Here's an updated integration package that adds an LCBContinueButton script. Add it to your continue button, and configure the Button's OnClick() event to call OnFastForward().

DS_LivelyChatBubblesSupport_2021-06-12.unitypackage
Woo nice script! I came here from wanting to make conversations out of barks, to reading how to use overhead speech bubbles, to buying the LCB asset today! Just upgraded the scripts to TMP (ez task) and with this package, it feels great!

Was wondering, since LCB uses a Screen Onset Canvas and not World Space, would there be a good way to go about making it in world space instead, e.g. by extending the extender to the actor's anchor point and using a AlwaysFaceCamera script or something? I'm having trouble getting the speech bubble to appear at the anchor in my orthographic 3D game with camera rotation
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,
zzzz wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:28 amWas wondering, since LCB uses a Screen Onset Canvas and not World Space, would there be a good way to go about making it in world space instead, e.g. by extending the extender to the actor's anchor point and using a AlwaysFaceCamera script or something? I'm having trouble getting the speech bubble to appear at the anchor in my orthographic 3D game with camera rotation
That's a good question, but probably one that's best to ask the LCB dev (contact info).