Adventure Creator Bridge

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
Escara

Adventure Creator Bridge

Post by Escara »

Hi Tony.

Not an issue this time, just wanted to run something by you as it took a while to figure out what I was doing wrong.

I have some bool variables set up in AC and certain actions have to be done in a specific sequence in order to solve the puzzle. When the last variable is set to true, meaning the player can finished the puzzle with a final interaction (completed by dragging an inventory item onto a specific hotspot), something strange occurred if I examined a different inventory item before the final interaction. After the last variable was set to true, when examining a new inventory item, it affected the variable by switching it back to false. At first I thought it was an AC issue but someone else was having the same problem and was able to resolve it by unticking the two options under 'Back to AC (on conversation end). And yes it fixed it.

So I just wanted to make sure that's the correct thing to do and it won't cause any issues in the game?

Hope you're well :)

Caroline
Tony Li

Re: Adventure Creator Bridge

Post by Tony Li »

Hi Caroline,

Happy 4th! (For some reason I assume you're in the USA. If not, have a happy July 4 anyway. :) )

If you're changing AC bools during a conversation, then you'll either want to untick those options or keep the corresponding Dialogue System variables in sync, too. When the "To DS" and "Back to AC" checkboxes are ticked, this is what happens:
  • Conversation starts: AC variable values are copied to corresponding Dialogue System variables, overwriting the current values of the Dialogue System variables.
  • During conversation: Maybe you change some Dialogue System variable values.
  • Conversation ends: Dialogue System variable values are copied back to AC, overwriting the current values of the AC variables.
So if you change an AC variable during the conversation, the change will be lost because DS will overwrite the AC variables.

Tony
Escara

Post by Escara »

Hi Tony.

I'm actually in the UK but yes, happy 4th!

So the bool variable change before the conversation in a separate action list. I think I've seen you in the AC forum, so it might be easier to find my post "Global variable set to true being ignored' for the full details and I've posted screenshots there too.

Also, I'm not using variables in DS (yet anyway)

Thought it was worth posting here as others may have a similar issue.

:D
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Thanks for the post. If you and Deckard_89 on the AC forum both ran into an issue with that, then I'm sure others have (or will have) too.