Quest showing name of conversation instead of starting a dialogue

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for Quest Machine.
fluffythekami

Quest showing name of conversation instead of starting a dialogue

Post by fluffythekami »

I've been following the video tutorials for quest machine and currently I'm working on the dialogue system integration. An odd issue that I'm having is that on the return state of the quest, instead of going into the conversation I have set, it pops up the quest window with the header and the title of the conversation. It starts no dialogue.

I've tried making some adjustments here and there but haven't really been able to figure out why it's showing the conversation title and isn't just starting the conversation instead. Some advice would be great!
Tony Li

Re: Quest showing name of conversation instead of starting a dialogue

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

When the quest is in the return state, make sure its UI content has a Dialogue System Conversation quest content. Typically you'll put this in a return quest node's Active or True state:

returnConversation.png
returnConversation.png (63.14 KiB) Viewed 74 times
fluffythekami

Post by fluffythekami »

I did check just to make sure that I hadn't missed that, but unfortunately I did actually do that. In fact, I believe this is where its getting the conversation title from.

Here's my settings:
Quest_Data.PNG
Quest_Data.PNG (178.86 KiB) Viewed 71 times
Here's how it appears in game. Not using dialogue UI like the other states. Also shows the conversation title twice, seemingly because of me setting the conversation in Active and True for testing.
Quest_Log.PNG
Quest_Log.PNG (226.73 KiB) Viewed 71 times
The other states work fine at least so far.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

I don't think the text in the Quest Machine dialogue UI is from the conversation. Does that same text also occur in your quest itself, such as in the quest's title?

Are there any errors or warnings in the Console window?

Is the dialogue database containing that conversation assigned to your Dialogue Manager's Initial Database field?

Please feel free to send a reproduction project to tony (at) pixelcrushers.com at any time if you'd like me to take a direct look.
fluffythekami

Post by fluffythekami »

I actually seemed to have figured it out. Apparently, in my dialogue, I was checking the node state for success and not return. Fixing that error got it working just the way I wanted it too. Not sure how I missed but thanks again!
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Glad you found the issue!