Question regarding best practice for Modeling domain specific deeds using OCEAN

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for Love/Hate.
slippyfrog

Question regarding best practice for Modeling domain specific deeds using OCEAN

Post by slippyfrog »

Hello and thank you for the awesome/well written asset. Love/Hate might be the single most useful asset I've ever purchased as there is no way I would be able to implement this by myself without a long-long time doing research/iterating and failing. Also the API is no short of fantastic. it is both easy to use and very intuitive .

I'm working on a social simulator that models religion, and social classes. How should we rank deeds that fall under a certain category, such as religious actions (e.g. praying, sacrificing goats, attending Sunday school, etc.)? I want other units in the game from other factions to judge (positively and negatively units that perform these actions. This all works with in love hate but I'm sure how to best map these constructs to the abstract 5-tuple of Ocean. I'm not sure what the best solution is, but here are two options:

1. In addition to OCEAN Personality Traits, should we add a new personality trait called TraitReligion to the Factions. TraitReligion would rank how religious a certain action is. A Deed would have either a negative or positive value for this based on how religious a deed is. If we use this non-abstract for (similar to how. your RPG example works with virtual, etc), do we even need OCEAN? ie are the two ways of modelling the Personality Traits mutually exclusive?

2. Instead of creating a specific personality trait for religion, we could create multiple deeds that are triggered for an action. For example, consider a deed called DeedReligiousAction a deed called DeedKill, and a global Faction called FactionReligion. When a UnitA kills UnitB, both DeedReligiousAction and DeedKill would be triggered. The target faction for DeedKill would be UnitB.faction and the dealer would be Unit A. As for the second deed, DeedReligiousAction, the dealer would still be Unit A, but the target faction would be FactionReligion.

Thoughts on best practices here? or can we just model a deed as Reliogus using a combination of the OCEAN Or Mega values. Thanks and much appreciated for your help and insight!
Tony Li

Re: Question regarding best practice for Modeling domain specific deeds using OCEAN

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

I think it might be hard to map religiousness to a set of OCEAN values. You're probably better off defining a Religiousness personality trait, or whatever you want to call it. You could use this with or without OCEAN. Using it with OCEAN would give some additional context to a deed. But, on the other hand, it might be overkill.

Assign a custom method to FactionMember.EvaluateDeed. You can use the code from the default EvaluateDeed method and also add in some computation for your Religiousness values.
slippyfrog

Re: Question regarding best practice for Modeling domain specific deeds using OCEAN

Post by slippyfrog »

Thanks for the insight on this. This helps a lot.