Player 'Reactive' Barks

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
Tony Li

Re: Player 'Reactive' Barks

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Here's a 3D example:

DS_TDE_BubbleAndPlayerBarkExample_3D_2020-03-09.unitypackage

This is how I set it up:

1. Copied the MinimalCharacter prefab to MinimalCharacter_Barker.

2. Added a Bubble Template Standard Bark UI prefab as a child. Customized its appearance slightly -- made it a little bigger and set the layer to UI so I can exclude the UI layer from post processing bloom effects.

3. Added a Dialogue Actor component. Selected the Player actor. Assigned the Bubble Template Standard Bark UI child to the Bark UI field. Set the Bark UI Offset to 0,0,0.

4. Copied the MinimalSandbox3D scene.

5. Assigned the MinimalCharacter_Barker prefab to the scene's LevelManager.

6. Added a Dialogue System Trigger to the scene. Set it to OnTriggerEnter, use Player, Add Action > Bark (Conversation: Player Barks). Left Barker and Bark Target unassigned.
MudPuppet

Post by MudPuppet »

Hey Tony, that latest example works 100% - much thanks for taking the time to set that up for me. Now I can at least compare a working example to my own project and perhaps pinpoint where the heck I went wrong ;)
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Glad to help!

Maybe your LevelManager isn't pointing to the player prefab that has a bark UI?
MudPuppet

Post by MudPuppet »

Hey Tony,
Maybe your LevelManager isn't pointing to the player prefab that has a bark UI?
Hehe, fortunately not something that pathetic. I think that I got it though. I could be wrong but it must be either when clicking in an open area of the conversations editing screen that I didn't set Player/Conversant to "player' (but had done this on Dialogue Entries) or that the Dialogue Entries did not have the 'Response Menu Sequence' added to them. My money is on the latter.

Your 3d example scene helped heaps as I was able to go through a decent process of elimination. Up until this whole situation my only experience with Dialogue Barks came from the Tutorials in the Docs.

Again much thanks for your help and awesome product support!
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Glad to help! :-)