Speed up dialogue text while pressing the continue button

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
Tony Li

Re: Speed up dialogue text while pressing the continue button

Post by Tony Li »

I updated this post with a few extra lines of code that let you specify a faster speed for \. and \,

As for the disappearing text, I'll address it in the next Dialogue System update. You won't need to do anything except import the update.
MilziPPG

Post by MilziPPG »

You're an absolute legend, Tony! Thank you again!
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

This example combines the speedup scripts with the multiple subtitle panels in the WRPG template discussed in this thread:

WRPGPanelsWithTypewriterSpeedup_2022-11-02.unitypackage

Summary of the changes:
  • Put a separate continue button in each subtitle panel.
  • Add one StandardUIContinueButtonSpeedUp script to each continue button. Assign the panel's typewriter effect.
  • Add multiple ResetTypewriterSpeed scripts to the dialogue UI GameObject, one for each subtitle panel. Assign the panel's typewriter effect.
alexlol

Post by alexlol »

This script has come in very handy, thank you!

From what I can see, this will only work with the subtitle panel continue button. Does anyone know if there's a way to modify this simply so that it also applies to the response menu text?
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Are you actually using a typewriter effect on the Text elements of the response buttons? The response buttons' Text usually doesn't have a typewriter effect. If you've added it, you can copy StandardUIContinueButtonSpeedUp.cs and modify the copy to work with menu panels instead of subtitle panels.

Or are you talking about the PC Subtitle Panel? If you're talking about the PC Subtitle Panel, use the same script on it as you've added to your NPC Subtitle Panel's continue button.
alexlol

Post by alexlol »

I'm using a typewriter effect on the response panel, but I have decided not to use a speedup for it and just keep the effect at the same speed.

Does the speedup script also work with Text Mesh Pro text, or Unity UI only?
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

The ResetTypewriterSpeed.cs script should work as-is, but you'll need to update the StandardUIContinueButtonSpeedUp.cs script to work with TextMesh Pro.