Scene Transition Question

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
nitrox32

Scene Transition Question

Post by nitrox32 »

I'm trying to get handle on scene transitions. Right now I'm using the Scene Transition Manager when I move between scenes. What I'm not fully getting is the relationship of the of scene transition as it is relates to the starting scene prior to transition. I have an indoor scene and an outdoor scene. I have the Scene Transition Manager set up in the indoor scene but not in the outdoor scene. When I go from the inside scene to the outside scene then back in everything works as expected. However when I start in the outside scene and go to the inside scene the transition doesn't work. This is to be expected as I don't have a Scene Transition Manager on the outside scene. When I do add a Scene Transition Manager to the outside scene the transition doesn't work moving in either direction.
Tony Li

Re: Scene Transition Question

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Put your Scene Transition Manager and Save System on the same GameObject, such as the Dialogue Manager GameObject. If you're using the SceneFaderCanvas, put it in the hierarchy of this GameObject so it's not destroyed when you change scenes. For an example, see the Dialogue Manager in Dialogue System's DemoScene1 .
nitrox32

Post by nitrox32 »

Still not working. The Dialogue Managers in both scenes have the exact settings with only Canvas as a child. They include the Player Prefs Saved Game Data, Json Data Serializer, Save System and Standard Scene Transition Manager (in that order). The Scene Transition Manager is set up properly I believe. The settings have worked before when moving one direction between scenes. The triggers to the next scene have a box collider set as trigger with a Dialogue System Trigger. Both set to play a LoadLevel sequence. This is properly set up as upon entering the trigger the new scene loads and positions the character properly.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

How is the Scene Transition Manager set up? Fade canvas? Loading scene?

Can you compare the setup to the Dialogue System's DemoScene1 and let me know how yours is configured differently?

Also, at any point please feel free to send a project to tony (at) pixelcrushers.com. I'll be happy to take a look directly.
nitrox32

Post by nitrox32 »

I did get it working. However I'm not exactly sure how I did it. I think I was using the SceneFaderCanvas from the PixelCrushers folder and not the one in my scene. Once I started using the one in my scene that seemed to fix the problem but I'm completely sure that was what was needed.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Aha, that would do it. If one of the SceneTransitionManagers were trying to kick off an animation on the prefab in the Projects folder, it wouldn't have any effect in the scene itself.