Dialogue System for Unity with plyGame

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
davidsibya08

Re: Dialogue System for Unity with plyGame

Post by davidsibya08 »

It does not change to 1, nothing happens with F. I think it's the Canvas Group that causes the problem because it really doesn't go to 1 even if I pause it.

How am I supposed to add it? Just add it immediately? Will it be displayed at the plyGame Screen Editor Buttons? Because I'm using screen editor
of the plyGame.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Make sure the Animator's Update Mode is set to Unscaled Time.

Or, for a better test, save your scene. Then delete the Animator component and the Canvas Group component. Then play the scene and try to open the quest log window. This will eliminate the fade-in animation as a possible culprit. It's possible that your plyGame screen is preventing the quest log window from playing its fade-in animation. By deleting the Animator and Canvas Group, the quest log window will be able to appear immediately instead of fading in.

If that doesn't make it appear, then check that your button is connected to the correct quest log window. Maybe you have two quest log windows in your scene.
davidsibya08

Post by davidsibya08 »

Hello Sir,

Nothing appears so far. I followed all your options.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Let's make sure your quest window works by itself. Please add this script to the Dialogue Manager:

ToggleQuestLogWindow.cs

Code: Select all

using UnityEngine;
using PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem;

public class ToggleQuestLogWindow : MonoBehaviour
{

void Update()
    {
        if (Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.J))
        {
            var questLogWindow = FindObjectOfType<QuestLogWindow>();
            if (questLogWindow == null) Debug.LogError("No quest log window found in scene.");
            if (questLogWindow.IsOpen)
            {
                questLogWindow.Close();
            }
            else
            {
                questLogWindow.Open();
            }
        }
    }
} 
Then play the game and press the 'J' key. Does this open the quest log window?

If it's okay with your instructor, you can email a copy of your project to tony (at) pixelcrushers.com. Put it in a ZIP file, and do not include the Library folder. I'll be happy to take a look.
davidsibya08

Post by davidsibya08 »

Sir Tony,

Thank you very much sir Tony. I followed your instruction for multiple times and I finally got it!
I finally see the Quest Log just the way I wanted. :)

Thank you sir Tony. I still have some errors in loading and saving proper quest states.

I will try to figure things out and when nothing happens still. Ahh! I really need to improve! Haha.
Thank you again for the opportunity to improve myself with your help sir. :)

Maybe I will ask later if I encountered an unresolved problem. :) Thanks!
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi David,

Happy to help! If you get stuck with the quest states, feel free to post some screenshots or a description of how it's set up.
davidsibya08

Post by davidsibya08 »

Sir Tony,

I bet this is the perfect time to ask my same old problem.
My game goes like this (Or at least what I did to test the quest state changes):
(Splash Screen) -- > Profile Screen (Create New Profile [Max.3 Profiles]) --> Main Menu (with Continue [Max. 3 Slots] , New Game, Options, Credits, Quit)
--> New Game --> Loading Screen --> Game Play --> Cutscene --> Made a quest to have 1 active quest then saves to profile 1
---> Completed the quest then saves to profile 2 --> Stop the Game --> Run it again then the quest state returned null.

It loads nothing. What to do now? Been struggling with that case for a week now. :|

Thank you sir Tony. :) :?
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

I'll try to put together a similar example using plyGame screens and the Dialogue System. I'll post back here later today.
davidsibya08

Post by davidsibya08 »

Wow! Thank you in advance sir Tony! I will have to rest for now, it's early in the morning now here in the Philippines. Thank you sir.
davidsibya08

Post by davidsibya08 »

Sir Tony! Guess what? I made it work! Yasss!!!! But I think this might be temporary but I know I will get over it soon fully working. Hehe

I forgot to tell you that I was actually loading the plyGame UI_RPG Scene. Therefore, what i did was I added a Dialogue Controller Component, Persistent Dialoge Manager and plyBridge to it! In result, It all worked! Saving from different slots with different quest states is working accordingly!

Wooah! What a feeling. Hahaha sorry for too much exaggeration of my feeling. I just feel happy for solving a case-to-case situation
in my game. Especially the level of difficulty as an amateur. Hehe.

Thank you again sir Tony! :) You keep on inspiring me to develop each day knowing a person who even don't know me
supports. :) More power to you and your guys (if you ever have). :) :D :D