Missing conversation nodes and having to recreate conversations

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
Argaen

Missing conversation nodes and having to recreate conversations

Post by Argaen »

Hello,
I'm having problems with the dialogue system. I'll create nodes in a conversation, play the game to test it, and lots of times the nodes disappear and I have to recreate them. There doesn't seem to be a reliable way to recreate this. Sometimes it works just fine. Other times I'll lose all the nodes. I figure I must be doing something weird, but I've never run into this before. I try and remember to Ctrl-S before playing but I don't always. That doesn't seem to affect wether I'm going to lose nodes though.

Furthermore, sometimes a conversation becomes "uncallable". By that I mean, I trigger all my conversations through script using:

Code: Select all

DialogueManager.StartConversation(
                    convName,
                    PlayerObjTD.Singleton.transform,
                    GetOwner());
(GetOwner just returns the Transform of the DialogueActor or the speaker failing that. )

And it just doesn't work. No error messages or anything. Just nothing happens. The conversation always looks fine in the editor, it just doesn't work. When this happens I have to delete the conversation and recreate it. Then it'll work. It only happens after I first create the conversation. If the conversation has been in the database for a while this never seems to happen.

When this happens I have to delete the conversation and recreate it. Which, as you'd imagine, gets pretty frustrating.

I've been using the system for a looong time and this has always worked but something has changed and the system has become a little unreliable. I'm 2.2.45 of the Dialogue System and 2022.3.17f1 of Unity.

Any advice on how to make this more reliable? Or what I might be doing wrong or anything?

Thanks,
David
Tony Li

Re: Missing conversation nodes and having to recreate conversations

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

I'm really sorry you're experiencing this issue. Unity introduced an issue with Asset Database v2 that I'm reworking the Dialogue Editor to work around. Unity can get into this state (rarely, but it happens) if you have the Dialogue Editor window open, tab over to your code editor, make code changes and return to Unity to recompile, edit conversations in the Dialogue Editor, and enter play mode. If you can update to a more recent version of Unity 2022, it's less likely to happen. And as soon as the DS version with the updated Dialogue Editor window is available, I recommend updating to it.
Argaen

Post by Argaen »

lol. I do all those things.
Ok, I'll try a newer version of Unity hopefully that helps until there's a new DS version.

Thanks.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

It's definitely a high priority task, so I hope to get it out soon.