Dialogue text display problem

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
1988Oleg1988

Dialogue text display problem

Post by 1988Oleg1988 »

Hello. I organized dialogues in my game, everything seems to work. The project was posted on GitHub. When I transfer a project to another PC, the dialog text stops displaying. What could be the reason?
Tony Li

Re: Dialogue text display problem

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

First, please make sure your GitHub project is private or that you've excluded the Dialogue System from the repository.

On your other PC, when you play the project are there any errors or warnings in the Console window?
1988Oleg1988

Post by 1988Oleg1988 »

No errors appear. It seems like the dialogs are working, but the text is not displayed. I can say this because some time after starting the dialog buttons appear
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

As a test, temporarily assign the Basic Standard Dialogue UI prefab to the Dialogue Manager GameObject's Display Settings > Dialogue UI field. Then play the conversation. Does the subtitle text appear?

If so, check the configuration of your dialogue UI's subtitle panel.

If your dialogue UI uses TextMesh Pro or SuperTextMesh, make sure the corresponding checkbox is still ticked in the Dialogue System's Welcome Window.

Are there any yellow warnings in the Console window?

If you temporarily set the Dialogue Manager's Other Settings > Debug Level to Info, the Dialogue System will log detailed conversation activity to the Console. You can use this to verify that it's running the conversation properly even if the UI isn't currently working for some reason. This video shows the process:

1988Oleg1988

Post by 1988Oleg1988 »

If your dialogue UI uses TextMesh Pro or SuperTextMesh, make sure the corresponding checkbox is still ticked in the Dialogue System's Welcome Window.
It worked

Thank you
1988Oleg1988

Post by 1988Oleg1988 »

Tell me, in which file are the Dialog system settings saved?
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

The Welcome Window checkbox settings such as TMP_PRESENT correspond to Scripting Define Symbols.

Note: When you tick a checkbox in the Welcome Window, Unity can only set a scripting define symbol (such as TMP_PRESENT) for platforms that are currently installed in your Unity version. For example, say your Unity installation only has the Standalone (Windows, Mac, Linux) module. if you tick the TMP_PRESENT checkbox, Unity will only add the TMP_PRESENT symbol for Standalone. If you then later install the WebGL module and switch your build settings to WebGL, the TMP_PRESENT will not be set for WebGL. You will need to tick the checkbox again in the Welcome window or add it manually.

A similar issue can happen if you copy your project to another computer where the Unity installation doesn't have the module you're using, and then you install that module.