Code for forcing focus back on continue/first dialog option?

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
SpecificImpulse

Code for forcing focus back on continue/first dialog option?

Post by SpecificImpulse »

I'm a dummy, and I'm not sure how to fix this particular problem, but here's the setup.

Project uses Adventure Creator and the new Input System. I've got code that uses the input system and auto-detects if it's mouse or keyboard/controller, swapping a bunch of stuff around on the fly as it detects things.

All of my Dialogue System stuff works great with either controller as long as I don't swap in the middle of a conversation. If I'm using the mouse and try to go to the controller, it doesn't return focus to either the Continue button or the first of the dialog options (if those are currently available). I've checked and the background code is still definitely working.

I don't want to use Always Auto Focus because that means dialog selections always have the top option focused when I'm using the mouse.

Is there a fast line I can chuck in my pre-existing code to just always focus the top button or continue button if the Dialog System conversation panel is open and it detects controller input?
Tony Li

Re: Code for forcing focus back on continue/first dialog option?

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

The quick way is to manually set the Input Device Manager component's Input Device with a line of code when you switch to a joystick (controller), such as:

Code: Select all

InputDeviceManager.instance.SetInputDevice(InputDevice.Joystick);
For example, you could hook into the C# event InputSystem.onDeviceChange.

When the Input Device Manager component's Input Device is set to Joystick, it will keep the continue / response menu buttons focused. (If you need to turn off this forced focus, see How To: Pause Dialogue In Menus.)

In the next version of the Dialogue System, the Input Device Manager will hook into InputSystem.onDeviceChange and update the Input Device automatically.
SpecificImpulse

Post by SpecificImpulse »

Works like a charm! Thanks a ton.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Glad to help!