[Seeking Feedback] Is this LUA Workflow for Syncing Quest Data To Adventure Creator Efficient / Correct?

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
mind creates

[Seeking Feedback] Is this LUA Workflow for Syncing Quest Data To Adventure Creator Efficient / Correct?

Post by mind creates »

I am learning to integrate Dialogue System's Questing with Adventure Creator.

I know nothing of LUA (and as such I wish to rely on Dialogue System's internal LUA Wizard workflow because it is visual and handles syntax for me).

The motivating reason behind my post / question today is to discover whether the workflow outlined below is the most efficient workflow or if a better solution exists.

Desired Outcome:
I wish to create a Dialogue System Quest with Quest Items & Quest Variables.
I wish to integrate the quest, quest items, and quest variables with Adventure Creator Hotspots & Action Lists.

Background / Observation:
Adventure Creator's Action Lists contain a 'Third-Party Action Type for Dialogue System LUA'.
This Adventure Creator 'Third-Party Action Type for Dialogue System LUA' does not possess the same LUA Wizard as is available within Dialogue System's own 'Dialogue System Trigger > Action > Run LUA Code.

The Workflow I Have Adopted (as a non-LUA speaker) is as follows:
  • Dialogue System Trigger > Action > Run LUA Code
  • LUA Wizard > Click To Create LUA Expressions > Copy the Resulting Written LUA Expression
  • Adventure Creator Action List > Third Party Dialogue System LUA Action > Paste Written LUA Expression
My Questions:
  • Is this an efficient workflow?
  • Am I manually doing work that the integration between DS & AC does automatically?
  • Do you recommend a better approach?
Tony Li

Re: [Seeking Feedback] Is this LUA Workflow for Syncing Quest Data To Adventure Creator Efficient / Correct?

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

That's probably the best workflow at the moment. I've made a note to add the same Lua dropdown wizard to the 'Third-Party Action Type for Dialogue System Lua' action in the next update.
mind creates

Re: [Seeking Feedback] Is this LUA Workflow for Syncing Quest Data To Adventure Creator Efficient / Correct?

Post by mind creates »

That's probably the best workflow at the moment. I've made a note to add the same Lua dropdown wizard to the 'Third-Party Action Type for Dialogue System Lua' action in the next update.
This is very kind of you (and likely to be beneficial to myself and to others), please know that my inquiry was simply to provide myself with a sanity check from an expert (and avoid adoption of any overly complicated workflow born from my own ignorance) it was not my intention to place more work upon your shoulders. Thank you for all that you do, your work is strong, helpful, and incredible.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

All good! Most of the best features in the Dialogue System have come from users' suggestions, so I'm always happy to take them.