Make the dialogue text (subtitle) interactive using Articy draft

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
AoAb

Make the dialogue text (subtitle) interactive using Articy draft

Post by AoAb »

Hi !
First of all sory for my english i'm a french bad english speaker.
Also sorry if you already answered this question.

I would like to know if with Articy draft and your dialogue system for untiy plugin it was possible to make the dialog text interactive? Like twine story formats harlowe ? For not having chain responses following a character speaking but contained in the body of text? I imagine using a tag system in articy draft and transforming the code of your plugin?

It seems complex with these systems which are more oriented towards a "classic" rpg dialogue system but the combination of articy draft and the dialogue system for unity would be very practical for me.

Another solution would be to recode everything in Unity or to do everything on Twine but both solutions seem like bad choices in my case due to the amount of work that this can represent.
Tony Li

Re: Make the dialogue text (subtitle) interactive using Articy draft

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

I think you mean this: How To: Bypass Response Menu When Player Has One Choice

If not, please give me more details.

If you mean you want to write a long block of text instead of creating individual nodes, then in articy:draft you can create a Document.
AoAb

Post by AoAb »

I believe your answer can solve part of my problem to avoid having the reponse list.

But what I would like would match this screenshoot. Being able to have answers in the dialogue text like the blue hyperlink in down this screen.
https://damonwakes.wordpress.com/wp-con ... unning.png

The idea that each response created in articy draft corresponds to a word to go to a next dialogue step (linker by the classic arrow in articy draf). So I can export all of this and plug it into your plugin.
AoAb

Post by AoAb »

Or if it's possible do all of this in your plugin directly
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

I assume that screenshot is Twine, correct?

In any case, that functionality would require some custom scripting. Under the hood, a Dialogue System conversation is a traditional node-based conversation tree in which dialogue text nodes are separate from interactable player response nodes. You'd probably want to write your own implementation of the IDialogueUI C# interface. (A starter script with comments is in Plugins / Pixel Crushers / Dialogue System / Templates / Scripts / TemplateDialogueUI.cs.)
AoAb

Post by AoAb »

Okay thanks for your answers ! I'll see what I can do :) !
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Glad to help! If you need your dialogue to work exactly like Twine, you might find a plugin such Cradle (if it's still around) to be a better fit if you're using Twine.
AoAb

Post by AoAb »

Yes excatly but Cradle (a big hope), Moontale and the others seems doest work anymore due too the new versions of Unity and twine ... sadly

I wonder if doing all my game on twine wouldn't be smarter.