NPC subtitle text sometimes overlaps itself

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
EpicMcDude

NPC subtitle text sometimes overlaps itself

Post by EpicMcDude »

Hello!

I'm having an issue where the NPC subtitle text sometimes overlaps itself, I'm not sure what the cause is since it's just sometimes.
When text shows up it types out [SUCCESS] but then the rest of the phrase starts from the beginning overlapping that word, you can see examples in the attachments.

I had had this happen before and what I did was I rewrote the dialogue text until it stopped happening, but I can't do that every time this happens.
Is there something I'm missing between conversation nodes that cause this to happen?
Attachments
Not overlapping
Not overlapping
Text2.jpg (88.71 KiB) Viewed 67 times
Overlapping
Overlapping
Text1.png (397.21 KiB) Viewed 67 times
Tony Li

Re: NPC subtitle text sometimes overlaps itself

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Then usually happens when TextMesh Pro (and possibly Text) sees a carriage return character (CR) without a line feed (LF), If you're pasting in text from some other source, make sure it has a carriage return and a line feed. If you enter text directly into the Dialogue Editor's Dialogue Text field, it shouldn't do that. Let me know if it does.
EpicMcDude

Post by EpicMcDude »

Tony Li wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:10 pm Hi,

Then usually happens when TextMesh Pro (and possibly Text) sees a carriage return character (CR) without a line feed (LF), If you're pasting in text from some other source, make sure it has a carriage return and a line feed. If you enter text directly into the Dialogue Editor's Dialogue Text field, it shouldn't do that. Let me know if it does.
Thank you, Tony. Seems every time I come here with a question you come back with not only a solution but some crucial information as well, always super helpful. Thanks again!
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Glad to help!