Adventure Creator/Dialogue UI Scroll Issue

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
marafrass

Re: Adventure Creator/Dialogue UI Scroll Issue

Post by marafrass »

Did some more tests, and I now dont think the AC sequencing has anything to do with it. Here's the issue outlined as clearly as possible;
1. The first dialogue runs without issue.
2. Any dialogue I run after the first one triggers the bug, but only if the first line in that dialogue isn't directly followed by a player response menu.

For example,

Code: Select all

NPC: Hello, how are you?
1. I'm fine.
2. I'm awful.
Works fine, while:

Code: Select all

NPC: Oh, hello!
NPC: How are you?
1. I'm fine.
2. I'm awful.
does not.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

marafrass wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:31 pmI noticed a number of UIScrollbarEnablers; one on the ScrollRect, one on the Main Panel, and one on the WRPG Template Standard UI (which is the one I've been modifying), all set to affect the ScrollRect, Scroll Content, and Scrollbar. Toggled all except the ScrollRect off, but it didn't solve the issue.
This may be the issue. Remove all except the one on the Scroll Rect. The response menu and the typewriter effect's Auto Scroll Settings (if you're using a typewriter effect) may be pointing to a disabled one. Or, if they're not pointing to any, they may be finding a disabled one instead of the enabled one.

Are you using a typewriter effect? If not, then try configuring the StandardUISubtitlePanel component's OnFocus() UnityEvent to call the UIScrollbarEnabler's CheckScrollbarWithResetValue(0) method.
marafrass

Post by marafrass »

Unfortunately that didn't work, but it did cause a weird visual issue which in turn made me go through every layout group in the UI - it looks like the issue might have been caused by a really high Top padding value in the Scroll Content object, and I've just been under the assumption that text was accumulating properly from the bottom up when it's just been forced down by the padding value.

Either way, huge thanks for the help - I'm sure I can take it from here just by fiddling around with Unity UI, which I'm now 99% certain is the issue rather than the asset itself!
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

If Unity UI refuses to make any headway, feel free to send me a reproduction project.
marafrass

Post by marafrass »

Much appreciated - hopefully it wont come to that.

Another quick question; I've never used an asset that is this well documented and supported, with the creator this ready and able to offer support or troubleshooting. I've only purchased the asset once, and I feel like I've got a hundred times more than my money's worth. I already try to recommend it to any devs looking for a universal dialogue solution, but have you considered opening a Patreon, Ko-Fi, or any other way for people to show support even after they've paid for the asset?
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Thanks! Just make and release cool games like Clam Man. That's the best help to get the word out, and they also give me something to enjoy when I need to unwind. :-)

That said, later this year I plan to release a major update, Dialogue System 3, with lots of really nice improvements. It'll be available for a very reduced upgrade price for Dialogue System 2 users who are interested in moving up to it. I'm continuing to support Dialogue System 2 and keep up on bug fixes and a backlog of some new features, too.
marafrass

Post by marafrass »

That's exciting, looking forward to it!!