Dialogue Conditions Met, But Conversation Won't Continue

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
cptscrimshaw

Dialogue Conditions Met, But Conversation Won't Continue

Post by cptscrimshaw »

Hi Tony, hope you're doing well!

I've run into an issue a few times, and I'd like to get to the bottom of it because I'm worried about save files loading correctly in the future (not the actual issue, I don't think, but I'm hoping to resolve it anyway). Basically, sometimes even though variable conditions are met in a conversation HUB, the dialogue won't continue. Restarting Unity fixes this problem 100% of the time.

I have a HUB for the character Taylor that should be taking the conversation to the last node on the left (and then going to another conversation):
https://ibb.co/pxqRPSC

I checked the variables and they are all met:
https://ibb.co/gmZ7411

And no dialogue shows up (because it's obviously not getting to the next node):
https://ibb.co/zm7d3Xh

Note: This always works just fine the first time I copy over a save file to the loading directory. But if I quit the game and copy over the save file again, this happens. It only happens rarely and not with every conversation, so I can't pin it down.

Let me know if you need more information, or if this is something you encountered before. I'm guessing some variable within the Dialogue System is being saved in a way I don't want it to, but I can't figure it out.

As always, very much appreciate the ongoing support!
Tony Li

Re: Dialogue Conditions Met, But Conversation Won't Continue

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Are there any errors or warnings in the Console window?

If you keep the Dialogue Editor open on that conversation at runtime and reproduce the issue, which node -- if any -- is colored green to indicate that it's the current node?
cptscrimshaw

Post by cptscrimshaw »

I did a little bit more digging and discovered the issue. In one of the popup boxes after the conversation, I was running the following code, and if you quit the game in the editor before the popup closed, it was never setting these to true again and unpaused:

Code: Select all

PixelCrushers.UIPanel.monitorSelection = false;
PixelCrushers.UIButtonKeyTrigger.monitorInput = false;
DialogueManager.Unpause()
I was using these because the Dialogue System loves to steal my eventsystem selections from time to time :)

Thanks for the help!
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Yes, if you've ticked the Input Device Manager's Always Auto Focus, or if it's in joystick mode, it will keep focus on whatever DS UI is open (subtitle panel continue button, response menu, etc.). More info: How To: Pause Dialogue In Pause Menu