Journal Button Not working

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for Quest Machine.
Tidbe

Journal Button Not working

Post by Tidbe »

I am current following the Quest Machine - Tutorial 1: Scene Setup, and trying to set it up in an existing game I am working on. I have followed all the steps but when I click on the button, the button "clicks" but nothing else happens. If I enable the journal whilst the game is not playing, it shows up, but when I am playing, nothing happens even if I enable from the hierarchy - even the scene view is a blank grey box. Any ideas?

Just additional info - the On Trigger to activate dialogue works just fine.
Tidbe

Re: Journal Button Not working

Post by Tidbe »

Ok so I think I half fixed it - when I started the game, the On Click reset and removed the player and ToggleJournalUI. I added the prefab of the player instead on the in-hierarchy player object, and this now opens the journal, however half the UI is now missing. I have attached a SS of this. Any ideas?
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-01-28 220926.png
Screenshot 2024-01-28 220926.png (112.09 KiB) Viewed 756 times
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Add a Quest Journal Button component to your UI Button. Configure the Button's OnClick() method to call QuestJournalButton.ToggleJournalUI. This method will find the active quest journal and show its content in the journal UI.
Tidbe

Post by Tidbe »

I have now done this (it required me adding the Journal Button instead of the player which is in the video - understand I'm using a complete different project so know there will be differences), However, half of the UI is still missing as per my previous post. I have tried changing the UI images of the journal but these still don't show.
Tidbe

Post by Tidbe »

Looking at the Inspector whilst the game is playing, I see that the image components of of the Portrait Image showing as None.
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-01-29 102213.png
Screenshot 2024-01-29 102213.png (32.08 KiB) Viewed 726 times
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Did you assign a Display Name and Portrait Image to the Quest Journal component?
Tidbe

Post by Tidbe »

Hmm I don't think so - where can I do this?
Tidbe

Post by Tidbe »

Apologies, I believe I have - please see SS. The portrait image is assigned to the Quest Journal UI game object, but does not show on play - it seems to get deleted.
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-01-29 133015.png
Screenshot 2024-01-29 133015.png (178.42 KiB) Viewed 707 times
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Locate your Quest Journal component. (Not the UI.) Assign the Display Name and Portrait Image. In the Demo scene, it looks like this:

questJournal.png
questJournal.png (19.11 KiB) Viewed 702 times
Tidbe

Post by Tidbe »

Wow, I knew it was going to be a simple fix somewhere but yes that worked!

I am rather new to all this and do get put off from potentially asking stupid questions but after hearing how responsive you were I thought I would give it a go. Thank you so much, the positive reviews on your responsiveness are true :D