Is there an Undo system ?

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
lgarczyn

Is there an Undo system ?

Post by lgarczyn »

I'm quite confused.

The dialogue system settings mention "fast undo" as a potential optimization for large projects

When deleting a node, the editor warns that this "cannot be undone"

But as far as I've tried, the dialogue system has no support for undo.

Ctrl-z will either do nothing, or delete all the change since the previous save, but with no support for ctrl-y (or ctrl-shift-z)

This is a strange feature, since it already exists by simply *not saving*.

Is undo bugged in my project? Or was it never implemented ?
Tony Li

Re: Is there an Undo system ?

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

There are some inconsistencies (and outright bugs in some Unity versions) in the way the Unity editor handles undo. These inconsistencies become more pronounced in complex custom editor windows such as the Dialogue Editor window. Development is progressing on an updated Dialogue Editor window that will work around these issues, but in the meantime Unity handles undo a bit inconsistently in the current editor window.
lgarczyn

Post by lgarczyn »

Does the dialogue editor window have its own undo system then?

I still don't understand the "you cannot undo this action" message since, again, nothing appears undoable in the editor.

Even ctrl-z in a single dialogue text field to remove the last written letter doesn't appear to work.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

The Dialogue Editor window uses Unity's undo API. Ctrl+Z undoes the last bit of typed text, not necessarily the last character. The Dialogue Editor update will address most of these issues. (You'll find a lot of publishers complaining about issues with Unity's undo API. The Dialogue Editor just happens to have run into most of those issues.)
lgarczyn

Post by lgarczyn »

Ok, then I appear to have found a bug, because ctrl-z absolutely does not undo the last bit of typed text.

Instead it undoes the last thing I did outside the dialogue editor (let's say changing the material on a UI component), and resets the dialogue database to the last unity save.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

This will be addressed in the Dialogue Editor update. I apologize for the inconvenience in the meantime.
talofangus

Post by talofangus »

+1 on this. Lack of undo is a really big UX bummer.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

100% agree. Undo is technically in the Dialogue Editor, but it hits all of the known issues with Unity's Undo functionality. The update should avoid all of those issues.