Sense Check - Multi Quest Systems

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for Quest Machine.
c166

Sense Check - Multi Quest Systems

Post by c166 »

Hey Tony,

Just thought I'd have a high-level sense check before I start going down the wrong rabbit hole. So I'm using the dialogue system integration for quests that are given by NPCs; but am thinking that I'd also want to get something like a quest board where I can display quests in a central location as well (would want to have different types of quests -> but I think I can just filter it out from a master list of quests that depends on the origination source).

I am thinking of using a script to call the pre-pixel crusher integration/ in-built QuestMachine dialogue UI directly (e.g. treat the quest board as an NPC without dialogue).

I.e. would have:
NPCs -> Dialogue System integrated Quest Machine UI
Quest Board -> Quest Machine UI

Can you see if there is anything (immediately) wrong with this approach/ do you think it'd cause any issues since it's using both the post-integration quest machine interface as well as the pre-integration quest machine interface? Alternatively does this type of functionality already exist somewhere that I just don't know about?

Best Regards,
C
Tony Li

Re: Sense Check - Multi Quest Systems

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

That's fine. It's the way it works by default. If your Quest Machine quest doesn't have a "Dialogue System Conversation" quest content to show, it will use Quest Machine's quest dialogue UI instead of the Dialogue System.
c166

Post by c166 »

Hey Tony,

So the Quest Journal implementation isn't working as expected (based on your comments) and I'm not sure what part is missing.

The set-up is:
  • Scene A leads to Scene B using the PixelCrushers' Scene Portal script and is where Quest Machine and Dialogue System are set-up.
  • Scene B. Does not have the above set-up, relies on being loaded from Scene A to have QM/ DS

The desired output is:
  • Scene A -> uses the dialogue system to provide quests
  • Scene B -> uses the quest system UI to provide quests
When I set up a new quest which I DON'T link the content to the "Dialogue System Conversation". I.e. just hardcode the responses in the body text. It still enters into the dialogue system UI for the conversations and not the desired Quest Machine UI.
questboard2_conversation_part1.PNG
questboard2_conversation_part1.PNG (8.76 KiB) Viewed 9097 times
After the offer text is displayed, it also doesn't actually allow you to select the quest. .
questboard2_conversation_part2.PNG
questboard2_conversation_part2.PNG (6.54 KiB) Viewed 9097 times
I've used the Quest Giver script and not the Dialogue Quest Giver:
QuestGiver.PNG
QuestGiver.PNG (9.02 KiB) Viewed 9096 times
The QuestGiver is set-up with the "Collecting Wood 2" Quest:
QuestGiver_Settings.PNG
QuestGiver_Settings.PNG (63.24 KiB) Viewed 9097 times
Which has the following specifications:
Collect Wood 2 Quest.PNG
Collect Wood 2 Quest.PNG (42.35 KiB) Viewed 9097 times
The Quest Machine Specification is below and has the default Quest Machine settings (e.g. Quest Dialogue UI):
OriginalUI_settings.PNG
OriginalUI_settings.PNG (75.95 KiB) Viewed 9097 times
I also tried toggling the "Hide Original UI on conversation Start" and "Allow Original UI During Conversations"; though neither seems to do anything.

Wondering what I'm missing/ have set-up incorrectly

Best Regards,
C
Attachments
questboard2_setup.PNG
questboard2_setup.PNG (39.8 KiB) Viewed 9097 times
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

I'll take a look today and get back to you by the end of the day. Make sure your offer text doesn't inadvertently contain any Dialogue System Conversation quest content.

Please also feel free to send a reproduction project to tony (at) pixelcrushers.com
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Try unticking the Quest Machine GameObject's Debug > Debug and Debug Message System checkboxes. They output so much detailed information that you may be missing warning messages in the Console.

After that, if you don't see anything in the Console that identifies the issue, would you please send me a reproduction project?
I just saw that you sent a repro project. I'll let you know what I find.
c166

Post by c166 »

Hey Tony,

Thanks for that. I've sent a replica project over though I wasn't able to reproduce my exact problem. It was a google drive link so let me know if you want me to add others to the project or if you have any problems with access.

Doing it from a base project did show that it's possible to display the default QuestMachine UI when it's linked between scenes with a persistent QM/ DS. Which means there's something wrong with my own set-up in my personal project (which I'll dig through to see if there are any hidden dialogue system references that I'm unaware of). Though there's also a few other questions that it's raised (which I've provided detail on in the email).

Context in case this gets looked at by others in the future. The toggle:
original_ui_toggle_switch.PNG
original_ui_toggle_switch.PNG (13.94 KiB) Viewed 9079 times
Allows for the QuestMachine UI to be displayed (labelled). The issue that I've asked in the email was that it displays both the dialogue system AND the original QM UI. Scene 1 contains the set-up as per the default Dialogue System integrations. I.e. there is actual dialogue set-up via DS. Scene 2 only contains body-text written text using QM(i.e. does not use the DS)
multi_options_scene1.PNG
multi_options_scene1.PNG (166.79 KiB) Viewed 9079 times
multi_options_scene2.PNG
multi_options_scene2.PNG (79.51 KiB) Viewed 9079 times
However both simultaneously display all UI (and is one of my questions as to how to set-this up). Even though expected behaviour is:
  • Dialogue system references exists: QM UI will not appear
  • Dialogue system references do not exist: QM UI will appear
Since that happens though, that suggests to me that it's not a problem with hidden dialogue references in my own project (which is possibly a useful clue for me). As the QM UI should STILL appear based on this base project test.

Best Regards,
C
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Thanks again for sending the repro project. Here are answers to some of the questions you asked:

ScenePortal doesn't recreate the GameObject in the new scene. Instead, put a separate player GameObject in new scene like you did in TestScene. Add a PositionSaver component to it and set the Key to same value as the previous scene (which you did), and -- this is the crucial step -- tick "Use Player Spawnpoint". This will tell the PositionSaver to move the player GameObject to the spawnpoint. Since your example scene specifies that the spawnpoint is "Portal", after changing to TestScene the save system will move the player GameObject to the position of the GameObject named "Portal".

On the Quest Machine GameObject's Dialogue System Quest Dialogue UI, keep "Hide Original UI On Conversation Start" ticked.

In scene 1, if your quests use Dialogue System Conversation quest content it will keep the Quest Machine dialogue UI hidden and show the conversation in the Dialogue System's dialogue UI.

I replied with a patch for Quest Machine's Dialogue System integration. This adds a new checkbox "Generate Conversation For Quest With No Offer Text" to separate it from the "Generate Conversation For Quest Lists" checkbox. UNtick this checkbox. That should allow the second scene to show the Quest Machine UI. This change will also be in the next Quest Machine release.
c166

Post by c166 »

Hey Tony,

Appreciate the response and I have applied the patch + followed your tips and it's fixed some of the issues (summary of the email for reference for other users).

I managed to get most of the items flagged working with your tips.
  • Toggling the option created with the patch removed the overlapping dialogues (i.e. used dialogue in original scene and uses the quest machine default in the test scene when there is ONE quest).
  • Portal working with position saver moving the player to the expected spawn location
However I found new issues:
  • Icon not displaying as expected in the QM UI
icon_missing_from_quest.PNG
icon_missing_from_quest.PNG (45.84 KiB) Viewed 9043 times
carrot_theft_icon.PNG
carrot_theft_icon.PNG (33.39 KiB) Viewed 9043 times
  • Adding TWO quests to the quest giver's list would result in the dialogue system quest UI being used; even though both quests do not have dialogue system components (CarrotTheft2 is a copy of CarrotTheft).​
multiple_quests_defaults_to_dialogue.PNG
multiple_quests_defaults_to_dialogue.PNG (50.72 KiB) Viewed 9043 times
The desired for output is the original QM UI treatment of quests.
QM_standalone_multi_quest.PNG
QM_standalone_multi_quest.PNG (64.75 KiB) Viewed 9043 times

Best Regards,
C
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

> Icon not displaying as expected in the QM UI

Since there's only one quest in the quest giver's list in this case, it jumps straight to the offer text. If you want to show an icon here, add an Icon content element to the Offer Text.

> Adding TWO quests to the quest giver's list would result in the dialogue system quest UI being used; even though both quests do not have dialogue system components (CarrotTheft2 is a copy of CarrotTheft).​

That's the behavior when you're using the Dialogue System Quest Dialogue UI component and there's more than one quest. But it would make sense to give an option to show the regular quest dialogue UI (instead of a Dialogue System conversation) when none of the quests have Dialogue System Conversation content elements. I'll try to get that into the next release.
c166

Post by c166 »

Hey Tony,

Ahh right, so since it's a single quest it's jumping straight into the offer section (can confirm the "reward" icon appears when it's put in) -> whereas the carrot + bunny images (which are at the quest level) only show up when there are multiple quests. I.e. SELECT QUEST section has the quest icons. Since SELECT QUEST goes straight into the quest itself when there is only one, it displays the OFFER icon.

And in this case, since the dialogue system applies to cases where there's more than 1 quest -> it doesn't get shown.
Appreciate the quick responses + would be great to have this included in the next release.

Best Regards,
C