Two small problems with Auto Focus that I'd appreciate some help with.

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
daylekeiron

Post by daylekeiron »

Greetings, just made my first custom dialogue UI with Unity's new UI tools using the tutorial provided on this site. So far everything is working well but I'm having two small issues with the auto focus toggle.

Problem 1.

My responses are set up as a series of 3 buttons in a vertical order, like so:

Response 1

Response 2

Response 3

When auto focus is turned on, response 3 is always the dialogue option selected by default, despite response 1 being allocated to the first option of dialogue in the conversation manager.

Is there any way to fix this, short of swapping around the order of my dialogue boxes? i intend for the players to read these from top to bottom so it'd be somewhat confusing for my team to have to allocate these in reverse order.

Problem 2.

When moving up and down through my responses, I find that the first vertical input requires the stick or key to be pressed longer than any subsequent input. This means that if the player taps the key, they will have to do it twice the first time. After that all subsequent inputs will response to a quick tap as it should. Any one have any clue what is causing this and how to fix it?

In addition to this, is is possible to set the input so that the player has to release the stick/button and then push again in order to continue scrolling through the buttons? I would prefer the player need to make several inputs to move up through the options instead of just holding the stick/button.

Thanks.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

For Problem 1, please import this updated Unity UI Support package. It contains the following changes, which will also be in the upcoming v1.4.4:

When Auto Focus is ticked, the first response button is auto-focused instead of the last.

UpdateLocalizedUILabels has an option to automatically save the player's current language selection to PlayerPrefs and automatically use this setting when restarting the game.

In Unity 5, the scripts use AnimatorState.fullPathHash instead of the deprecated AnimatorState.nameHash; silences an "obsolete property name" warning.

For Problem 2, UI navigation is handled by Unity. To my knowledge, there's no way to prevent it from continually navigating when the user holds down a button or key. However, you can adjust the repeat speed on the EventSystem GameObject. On the Standalone Input Module component, decrease Input Actions Per Second.