Quest Machine and Opsive Save System

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for Save System for Opsive Character Controllers.
vectorfrog

Quest Machine and Opsive Save System

Post by vectorfrog »

I have Quest Machine, and in the asset store page for the save system for opsive characters, it states that this system is included in with Quest Machine. So far, I'm finding all the components, but not really putting together how to use them to save/load my scenes and game data.

Is there a document that I can read and follow that will help me with getting it all set up for the very first time?
vectorfrog

Re: Quest Machine and Opsive Save System

Post by vectorfrog »

I found the document Save System Manual. Is this the same, and is there Opsive specific information for setting up the save system?
Last edited by vectorfrog on Mon May 02, 2022 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vectorfrog

Post by vectorfrog »

I also found the Save System prefabs package and have been looking at that. Can these be used to set up the saving of Opsive controller stuff? I don't have UIS....yet....
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Yes, you can use the Save System Prefabs. Also download and import the Quest Machine integration for Opsive from opsive.com. Then add a UCC Saver component to your Opsive player GameObject.
vectorfrog

Post by vectorfrog »

Thanks Tony, now, when I have the Save System prefab in my main menu scene, and then load up my game scene and activate a trigger that opens the Quest Dialog, I get a missing reference exception:

MissingReferenceException: The object of type 'UnityUIQuestDialogueUI' has been destroyed but you are still trying to access it.

This is with just the Save System prefab in scene 0. Scene 0 loads a character selection screen, scene 1, and scene 1 loads the game scene, scene 3.

Everything loads and runs fine until I hit this NPC trigger to open the quest dialog, then run into this. Did I miss something? I have the UCC Saver Component on my character, but I don't think that is the issue since I'm not even trying to save or load anything yet.
vectorfrog

Post by vectorfrog »

I think I figured it out. I had add the Save System component to the Quest Machine prefab in my game scene in a previous attempt to get saving to work.

I'm going to try and set up a UI for the system real quick.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

I should have mentioned that. The Save System prefab is a "singleton," meaning it only allows one instance to exist. If it finds one on a separate SaveSystem GameObject, it will destroy the Quest Machine GameObject. Similarly, if the Quest Machine GameObject happens to initialize first, it will destroy the SaveSystem GameObject. So remove it from the Quest Machine GameObject like you're planning to do.
vectorfrog

Post by vectorfrog »

Thanks Tony. Looks like I have it all working with the exception of it not saving the Quest information. It knows I started a quest if I try to go back to the Quest Giver, but nothing in the Journal. I can continue the quest and it sends alerts that I have set up as if I were running the quest. Just nothing in the journal.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Make sure your quests are assigned to your quest database asset, and the quest database asset is assigned to your Quest Machine GameObject.

Also check your Quest Journal component's Save Settings. Assign a unique key value, and tick Include In Saved Games.

You might also want to tick Remember Completed Quests.
vectorfrog

Post by vectorfrog »

So, the Save Key for the UCC saver and Quest Journal have to be different? Or should they be the same?