Non quest Journal Entry?

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for Quest Machine.
QuestHole

Non quest Journal Entry?

Post by QuestHole »

Hello,
I want the player to trigger a message that gives them information on the world that is then stored in the journal with no quest attached. How would I do that?

I imagine it triggering and presenting like a Quest, but with only the OK button (or Accept) and then the message would be entered into the journal for later access.
Thanks
Tony Li

Re: Non quest Journal Entry?

Post by Tony Li »

You'll need to make it a quest. You could name the quest something like "Notes", and make each note a quest node. When the player enters a trigger collider, set the corresponding quest node true.

You'll also want to make sure the quest itself active. You could set this up as an active quest on the player, or use this script to give it to the player at any point.
QuestHole

Post by QuestHole »

Hi. Sorry for this, but I need more details. I've messed with this for a while now and can't get it to work. It seems easy on the surface, but I'm doing something wrong.

How do I modify an existing quest to make it work. Maybe the Explore quest?

Thanks
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Here's an example:

QM_NotesExample_2022-04-29.unitypackage

It's the Demo scene, except the player starts with an active "Notes" quest. If you walk to the fields, it will add a note. If you walk to the Knight, it will add another note. Examine the quest to see how it's set up. There are two quest nodes, each of which listens for a message such as "Saw" + "Knight" and shows journal text when the node is True. The scene has simple Trigger Events that send the messages.

Note: I didn't add the quest to the quest database since that isn't really relevant to your question. But, since the quest isn't in the quest database, this means it won't save and load properly. (If you were to add the quest to the quest database, it would save and load fine.)
QuestHole

Post by QuestHole »

Thank you so much - again!
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

My pleasure!
Smoky

Post by Smoky »

Good afternoon Could you please re-upload the full file as there are not enough prefabs in the scene?
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

The example scene above is complete. It requires Quest Machine to be in your project, including the files in Quest Machine's Demo folder.
Smoky

Post by Smoky »

Thank's a lot
Smoky

Post by Smoky »

Good afternoon Can you please tell me how to make it so that when picking up an item in the game, a trigger would work for me and a log entry would occur? And one more question, is it possible to implement a log entry only after finding 2 different objects, for example:

I need to find a torch and oil, and until I pick up both of these items, the journal entry will not appear.