How to adapt dialogue for VR?

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
lingz

How to adapt dialogue for VR?

Post by lingz »

I want to use this for a dialogue in VR. I can get normal UI elements to show up in VR by setting the canvas to screen - overlay and positioning it correctly. By default, the Dialogue System works out of the box for a normal 3D game, but the text doesn't show up in VR. What adaptations do I need in order to make this work?
Tony Li

Re: How to adapt dialogue for VR?

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Just do exactly what you described. Change the canvas to Screen Space - Overlay. Or better yet, in my opinion, use world space canvases. I feel like they work better in VR, and you can use gaze-to-select.

The Dialogue System Extras page has an example VR scene that uses a world space dialogue UI. It's the fourth button down in the Extras section. It was made before Unity released their VR Samples, so it uses Oculus's gaze-to-select input module. But you can do the same thing with the gaze-to-select module that comes with Unity's VR Samples.

If you have any questions about using the Dialogue System in VR, just let me know. I've worked with several developers on integrating the Dialogue System in their VR projects, and one of my own current projects uses the Dialogue System in VR, so I'm happy to share any tips I've picked up along the way.