No Text in Journal

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for Quest Machine.
Solange

No Text in Journal

Post by Solange »

Hello,

I have a strange issue while trying to integrate Quest Machine with RPG Builder (plus the Dialogue Manager). I don't get any of the quest text inside the journal.

While playing, I can inspect my player character and see that he has received the quest in the Quest Journal component that I added to him. The quest is also Active

The HUD display works fine. There, I see the text that I wrote for it.

But if I open the journal, there's no text besides the header. Just two empty pages

Any idea what the issue might be? Like I said, the HUD works fine. The quest is active and given to my character. I created a simple button on the UI and used the ToggleJournal command when clicked to show it. Are there additional steps I didnt see for rendering the text?

I should note that the Demo works fine- both standalone and Dialogue Manager support. So do the other aspects of Quest Machine, like the alerts, the HUD and the accept/decline text boxes when talking to the quest giver NPC. It's just the journal that refuses to display any text

it's so fun trying to mash multiple different plugins together :lol:

I searched these forums and this sounds like the closest match to my problem:

https://www.pixelcrushers.com/phpbb/vie ... php?t=2349

im not sure how this got resolved though

edit: it seems like the Demo version generates an entry under the journal UI such as "Farming" for the 1st quest. all I have in my version are the templates though, which are hidden, even after i accept the quest. so something is preventing quest machine from doing that
Tony Li

Re: No Text in Journal

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Just confirming: After the player accepts the quest, does the Quest Journal component's Quests list contain the quest?

Assuming it does, please check these things:
  • Are there any errors or warnings in the Console window?
  • Is there only one Quest Journal component in the scene? Or multiple?
  • Try adding a Quest Journal Button component to your UI Button. Configure the UI Button's OnClick() event to call QuestJournalButton.ToggleJournalUI.
  • If that doesn't help, are you using a customized quest journal UI? Or the default starter that comes with Quest Machine?
At any point, please feel free to send a reproduction project to tony (at) pixelcrushers.com if you like. I'll be happy to take a look directly.
Solange

Post by Solange »

Hi Tony,

I am indeed using your default Quest Machine UI to see if I can get it to work. I double checked the error window and you're right. Looks like something is angry here.

There are two issues.

The first is that it seems like two Event Systems are being created. I assume the RPG Builder event system is clashing with yours

The other is this error message in the ActivateGameObjectQuestAction script:

SerializedObjectNotCreatableException: Object at index 0 is null
UnityEditor.Editor.CreateSerializedObject () (at <97ba64834c8f4edc84e3d8e30b04f122>:0)
UnityEditor.Editor.GetSerializedObjectInternal () (at <97ba64834c8f4edc84e3d8e30b04f122>:0)
UnityEditor.Editor.get_serializedObject () (at <97ba64834c8f4edc84e3d8e30b04f122>:0)

edit: ill mess around with your other suggestions in the meantime. i tried to figure out your code, but im not so great at it :lol:
Solange

Post by Solange »

oops, the two event systems may have been an accident on my part from something else earlier. might not have anything to do with Quest Machine or Dialogue Manager. i still get the 2nd error though with that script. not sure what is up there
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

> The first is that it seems like two Event Systems are being created. I assume the RPG Builder event system is clashing with yours

> the two event systems may have been an accident on my part from something else earlier

If you're still getting two EventSystems -- for example, maybe RPG Builder creates one at runtime -- then we can fix that.

Quest Machine doesn't create an EventSystem at runtime, but the Dialogue System might. By default, it will check if the scene has an EventSystem. If not, it will create one. If the scene starts without an EventSystem and RPG Builder then creates one, the Dialogue System is probably also creating one.

To turn this off, inspect the dialogue UI that's assigned to the Dialogue Manager GameObject's Dialogue UI field. Untick the 'Add EventSystem If Needed' checkbox.

Then inspect the Dialogue Manager's Instantiate Prefabs component. Remove the quest log window and quest tracker HUD from its Prefabs list. You don't need these UIs since Quest Machine will handle the quest UI stuff.

The steps above will prevent the duplicate EventSystem, but they won't fix the original issue where the journal appears empty.

> The other is this error message in the ActivateGameObjectQuestAction script:
> SerializedObjectNotCreatableException: Object at index 0 is null

This could be a bug in whatever version of Unity you're using. What GameObject name is assigned to the action? At the point that this action runs, is the GameObject in the scene? Is it active or inactive?

However, fixing this error won't fix the original issue either.

If you don't want to send a reproduction project, you could try stepping through the journal UI code. To do that, attach your code editor's debugger to the project.

Add a breakpoint to the UnityUIQuestJournalUI script's AddQuestsToUI method. It'll be around line 468:

Code: Select all

var quests = new List<Quest>(questJournal.questList);
When you hit that breakpoint, check these things:
  • Does the questJournal variable point to the correct GameObject?
  • How many items are in questJournal.questList?
You should be able to hover your mouse over questJournal and questList to get info on them.

I've finished work for the night, but I'll check back in the morning.
Solange

Post by Solange »

thank you for the advice. i messed around with it tonight and managed to get the journal to work by putting the Quest Journal () component on the EventSystem prefab instead of the player character prefab

not sure why that made a difference

i also used GiveQuestToQuester instead of GiveQuest, if that mattered. ill have to play around with it more later and see what was breaking it

next issue to face after that will be getting the quest journal to be permanent. right now it resets after quitting, hehe

i like both the Dialogue Manager and Quest Machine though, nice job
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

I'm not sure why moving the journal to the EventSystem would make it work. It's probably due to some RPG Builder activity. If you want to investigate further, feel free to send me a reproduction project.

The easiest way to make the quest journal permanent is to set up the save system. Normally you would set up the save system like in Quest Machine's Demo scene. The quickest way to do that is to download the Save System Prefabs package from the Dialogue System Extras page and import it into your project. It's on the Dialogue System Extras page, but the Dialogue System and Quest Machine share the same save system, so the prefabs work for either or both. Then drop the Save System prefab into your first scene. To automatically save when exiting the game and automatically load when resuming the game, add an Auto Save Load component to the Save System GameObject.

I haven't yet had a chance to investigate if or how RPG Builder handles saved games. If you need to use RPG Builder's save system, see this instead: How To: Save Quest Journal Without Save System
Solange

Post by Solange »

Hi Tony,

I imagine I would have to send you RPG Builder as part of a reproduction project, which I didn't feel comfortable doing. Fortunately, I asked the lead dev and he would be happy to give you a free copy if you contact him and say who you are. If you are interested in that, here is the contact page:

https://blinkstudios.dev/contact/

3rd party support would be awesome. Blink recently added a built-in dialogue and quest system, but yours are far more robust

thank you for the other advice. i will continue experimenting and see if I can get something working
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

I already have a license for RPG Builder.

(BTW, all customer files are handled confidentially and are deleted as soon as the issue is resolved.)
natasha7899

Post by natasha7899 »

Solange wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:48 pm oops, the two event systems may have been an accident on my part from something else earlier. might not have anything to do with Quest Machine or Dialogue Manager. i still get the 2nd error though with that script. not sure what is up there
It looks that Quest Machine or Dialogue Manager may have nothing to do with the problems with the two event systems.gb whatsappHowever, the script's second issue continues to occur, necessitating more research to determine its true source. :D