Tighter integration with Emerald AI factions

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for Love/Hate.
dancinggoat23

Tighter integration with Emerald AI factions

Post by dancinggoat23 »

Hello! Let me start by saying that I'm grateful for the integration already present between Emerald AI and Love/Hate. Thank you!

Are there any plans to more tightly integrate the Emerald AI faction implementation with Love/Hate? I'd like to be able to influence AI behavior based on changing faction relationships as well as on individual actions taken by the player or other AIs. Ideally, when I show the available factions in the Emerald editor UI it would list those in Love/Hate and not its own, separate list.
Tony Li

Re: Tighter integration with Emerald AI factions

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,
dancinggoat23 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:52 pmHello! Let me start by saying that I'm grateful for the integration already present between Emerald AI and Love/Hate. Thank you!

Are there any plans to more tightly integrate the Emerald AI faction implementation with Love/Hate? I'd like to be able to influence AI behavior based on changing faction relationships as well as on individual actions taken by the player or other AIs.
The integration can already do that. At the highest level, AIs can change their Emerald AI factions based on Love/Hate affinity:
  • Inspect the EmeraldAILoveHateMember component's Faction Relation Thresholds.
  • Tick Set Emerald Faction Relations By Affinity.
  • Set thresholds for enemy (e.g., -20) and friendly (e.g., +20). Anything in between (-20 to +20) is neutral.
When the AI's Love/Hate affinity to another AI or the player changes, it will update or add an Emerald AI faction relation.

As the AI's PAD changes (e.g., pleasure decreases), the component can also automatically change its Emerald AI temperament.

In the other direction, when an Emerald AI is attacked, the component informs Love/Hate so it can automatically update relationships and PAD.

If there's something you want to do, please let me know. I can probably describe how to do it with the integration.
dancinggoat23 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:52 pmIdeally, when I show the available factions in the Emerald editor UI it would list those in Love/Hate and not its own, separate list.
Unfortunately that's not quite as practical, since Emerald AI is a separate asset maintained by a separate developer (BHS). Will is working on enhancements to Emerald AI's faction system. When it's ready, the integration may be able to provide an editor button to replace the Emerald faction definitions with Love/Hate's. No guarantees, though, since this feature is still on his drawing board.
dancinggoat23

Post by dancinggoat23 »

Thank you, this is very helpful. I didn't look closely enough at the integration; I'm very happy to hear that it works like this.

As for Emerald, I'm looking forward to their 2.4 update. It may have something helpful in this respect. I'll ask about it.

thanks again!
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Glad to help! If you have any questions about setting it up, just let me know.