Need some help in understanding the "Can Witness Self" checkbox

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for Love/Hate.
vietnguyen92

Need some help in understanding the "Can Witness Self" checkbox

Post by vietnguyen92 »

Hello Pixel Crushers,

first of all thank you for making a great product :) I am really enjoy it so far and currently am evaluating the trial version and trying out the functionality.

My question is, can you help me explain how the "Can Witness Self" checkbox in the Faction Manager component works and how it affects the actor (PAD or affinity) using some example scenarios?

Thank you!
Tony Li

Re: Need some help in understanding the "Can Witness Self" checkbox

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Thanks for checking out Love/Hate!

The character that performs a deed is called the actor.

If Can Witness Self is unticked, the actor will not witness or judge the deed. Only other characters, such as the target and bystanders, will witness and judge the deed.

If Can Witness Self is ticked, the actor will witness and judge its own deed. This is useful if you want the character to reflect on its own actions -- for example, if the actor does something that it dislikes, it might become self-loathing. However, it also has the effect of reinforcing behavior. If the actor does something it likes, it can become more happy about doing that thing and also increase its PAD (pleasure, arousal, and dominance). This may change the values more than you want in your game.
vietnguyen92

Post by vietnguyen92 »

Hello,

Ok, now I understand :)
Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it!
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Happy to help! :-)