ORK integration

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for Quest Machine.
dlevel

ORK integration

Post by dlevel »

Hello,

wanted to ask if an ORK Framework Integration is planned. Thank you
Tony Li

Re: ORK integration

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Yes, ORK Framework integration should be available early next month.
dlevel

Post by dlevel »

Ok thank you for fast reply, because I'm debating to purchase today before the sales ends :D

Could you please describe me what procedural generated Quests mean? I saw the 2 tutorial videos on youtube, but I cannot get it how that will make quests at runtime using parameters etc. For example in ORK I have leveling up system, I have day/night etc. how that could communicate with Quest Machine?
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi!

A tutorial video for procedurally generated quests is coming soon.

Procedurally generated quests are an optional (but powerful) feature of Quest Machine. If you write all your quests by hand, like most current games do, you won't have to dig into any of the procedural generation features.

But procedural generation lets you set up elements in the scene that tell Quest Machine how to generate new quests at runtime. These elements have various attributes and conditions. Those conditions can do things like check the player's level, check the time of day, etc.

For example, you could have a dragon and a pack of rats in your scene. One NPC might examine the scene to decide whether to send the player to slay the dragon or the rats. If the player's level is high enough, the NPC would generate a quest to slay the dragon. Otherwise it would generate a quest to kill the rats. On the other hand, another NPC who loves dragons would not generate a quest to slay the dragon. Maybe that NPC would generate a quest to collect flowers that only bloom at night.

When I work on the ORK integration, I'll try to include some example quests like this.
dlevel

Post by dlevel »

perfect, as a solo developer I m very interested on this part of Quest machine (procedural quests), so would appreciate the tutorial with ORK :)

I guess UI graphics can be fully customized with our UI prefabs right?

fyi, there is already a topic on ORK forums (http://forum.orkframework.com/discussio ... ine#latest) about Quest Machine, and we are all waiting for a nice integration :)
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

dlevel wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:51 amI guess UI graphics can be fully customized with our UI prefabs right?
Yes; you have absolute control. You can just swap out the graphics and layout, or you can replace the entire UI code -- for example if you want to use NGUI or legacy Unity GUI -- and Quest Machine will work happily with it.
dlevel wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:51 amfyi, there is already a topic on ORK forums (http://forum.orkframework.com/discussio ... ine#latest) about Quest Machine, and we are all waiting for a nice integration :)
Thanks for letting me know! I'll check it out.
dlevel

Post by dlevel »

Ok thank you for all the information, just bought the Asset and waiting for the integration :D
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Thanks! I'll get the ORK integration out as soon as I can. I'm finishing up Dialogue System 1.7.7 this weekend, and then finishing up the Dialogue System + Quest Machine integration. Shortly after that, I'll be taking care of the ORK integration.
dlevel

Post by dlevel »

Hey :) any update on this?
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Working on it this week! It shouldn't take long. The Dialogue System + Quest Machine integration work was a beast, mainly to design and implement an efficient workflow and memory use when translating procedurally-generated quests into the Dialogue System's more freeform style of conversations. You'll be able to take advantage of that in the Quest Machine + ORK integration if you want, or just use Quest Machine's default WoW-style dialogue. I'll post back here, hopefully before next weekend, with the ORK integration.