Error Messages with Dialogue System

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for Quest Machine.
hellwalker

Error Messages with Dialogue System

Post by hellwalker »

Hey, I wanted to try out the Quest Machine Evaluation copy and I got errors with DS.
What I did was
1) Import Latest DS from Asset Store
2)Import latest Quest Machine Evaluation copy from website.
3)Import DS support package from Commons folder
4)Import DS support package from Quest Machine folder

This first two errors appeared as soon as I imported DS & QM, and last two with support packages.

Did I mix up the order?

Code: Select all

Assets/Plugins/Pixel Crushers/Common/Scripts/Misc/RectExtensions.cs(35,25): error CS0121: The call is ambiguous between the following methods or properties: `PixelCrushers.RectExtensions.ScaleSizeBy(this UnityEngine.Rect, UnityEngine.Vector2, UnityEngine.Vector2)' and `PixelCrushers.RectExtensions.ScaleSizeBy(this UnityEngine.Rect, UnityEngine.Vector2, UnityEngine.Vector2)'

Assets/Plugins/Pixel Crushers/Common/Scripts/Misc/RectExtensions.cs(35,25): error CS0121: The call is ambiguous between the following methods or properties: `PixelCrushers.RectExtensions.ScaleSizeBy(this UnityEngine.Rect, UnityEngine.Vector2, UnityEngine.Vector2)' and `PixelCrushers.RectExtensions.ScaleSizeBy(this UnityEngine.Rect, UnityEngine.Vector2, UnityEngine.Vector2)'

Assets/Pixel Crushers/Quest Machine/Third Party Support/Dialogue System Support/Scripts/Quest Content/DialogueSystemConversationQuestContent.cs(20,17): error CS0433: The imported type `PixelCrushers.StringField' is defined multiple times

Assets/Pixel Crushers/Quest Machine/Third Party Support/Dialogue System Support/Scripts/Quest Content/DialogueSystemConversationQuestContent.cs(47,37): error CS1715: `PixelCrushers.QuestMachine.DialogueSystemSupport.DialogueSystemConversationQuestContent.originalText': type must be `PixelCrushers.StringField' to match overridden member `PixelCrushers.QuestMachine.QuestContent.originalText'
Tony Li

Re: Error Messages with Dialogue System

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Delete this folder:

Plugins / Pixel Crushers / Common / Scripts

The evaluation versions of Pixel Crushers assets come with precompiled DLLs. The paid versions come with source scripts.

The evaluation versions require the DLLs. The paid versions can work with either the DLLs or the source scripts.

If you decide to use Quest Machine, you can delete the DLLs folder and import the paid version, which will restore the Scripts folder.

If you decide not to use Quest Machine, you can delete the DLLs folder and reimport the Scripts folder from the paid version of the Dialogue System.
hellwalker

Post by hellwalker »

Awesome that fixed it thanks!
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Great! If you have any questions about using Quest Machine, let me know. The quest editor is more inspector-based than the Dialogue System's more text-based interface.
hellwalker

Post by hellwalker »

Thanks! So far I think I got the basics, the one concept I don't think I quite figured out is Quest Giver. Is this required to be able to reuse same quest with multiple NPC ? Does it associate an instance of a quest with that npc? Or is just a system to dynamically assign/track what quests an NPC may have?

Since all my quests are one time only/linear in my current game, I just added all quests to player journal component from the start and I figured I can just activate them with DS NPC dialogue or world triggers. Am I missing something out by not using Quest Giver with traditional RPG quest system? (Where you get quest through speaking to NPC in branching dialogue and all quests are unique)

P.S. I loved the quest machine so far and I bought it :mrgreen: I'll most-likely be getting Love hate as well once I figure out how to best use it. I didn't want to have non linear NPC interactions and quests in my game, but Love/Hate + Quest Machine create some very interesting possibilities that are just too interesting to ignore. Thanks for creating cool stuff. Cheers!
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Thanks for buying Quest Machine!

Your setup should work fine. You may want to set the quest's Quest Giver field at design time in this case, especially if use the {QUESTGIVER} tag in your text. Normally when a Quest Giver NPC gives the quest to the player, it sets the Quest Giver field in the player's instance of the quest.
hellwalker

Post by hellwalker »

Ah, ok thanks. Will do.