View Dialogue on timeline and response option appearing

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
mudukke

View Dialogue on timeline and response option appearing

Post by mudukke »

Is there anywhere to view the dialogue when scrubbing through the timeline I am trying to time my shots with the dialogue. But I can only view it when I play the scene and is there a way to view the duration length of the dialogue?

The other issue I have is I will get some dialogue that has a clickable response button when its only a back-and-forth conversation I am not sure why.
Attachments
response 2.png
response 2.png (26.54 KiB) Viewed 88 times
response.png
response.png (23.28 KiB) Viewed 88 times
Tony Li

Re: View Dialogue on timeline and response option appearing

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

To make single player-actor responses automatic (not requiring a menu button click), see How To: Bypass Response Menu When Player Has One Choice.

Since it's not possible to know what dialogue UI will be in use at runtime, the Start Conversation and Continue Conversation timeline clips just show the subtitle text onscreen in a simple font when you scrub.
mudukke

Post by mudukke »

Thanks Tony for the response message. Still, kind of confused about how to use the continue button on the timeline do I need to change the dialogue manager continue button to always?
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

If you'll control the conversation's continuation in the timeline, then yes. Set the Dialogue Manager's Subtitle Settings > Continue Button mode to Always, or do it only for the specific conversation (in Dialogue Editor > Conversations > Menu > Conversation Properties).

Then use a dialogue UI that doesn't have a visible continue button. The Continue Conversation timeline clip will simulate a continue button click, and it doesn't require an actual continue button.