Make Conversations Replayable

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
touchgoals

Make Conversations Replayable

Post by touchgoals »

Hello all!
So I'm working on a game where if you fail certain minigames, it will boot you back to a short narrative scene that can be seen multiple times in one run. The dialogue system trigger is set to "On Start." However, if you've already seen the conversation and are booted back to the scene, the conversation can't be played through again. How can I fix this? Basically, I want the conversation to start over every time the scene is loaded, not just the first. Happy to provide more context if needed!
Tony Li

Re: Make Conversations Replayable

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

When you set a Dialogue System Trigger to OnStart -- or, better yet, to OnSaveDataApplied which is like OnStart but also compatible with loading saved games -- it should start the conversation every time you load the scene.

The only reasons I can think of that it wouldn't play it again is if you're not reloading the scene containing the Dialogue System Trigger or if you're setting some kind of Conditions that would block it from playing again, such as setting an "already played this" DS variable.
touchgoals

Post by touchgoals »

I think I figured out the issue: the new scenes were loading before the conversation ended. It appears to be fixed now!
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Great! Glad you found the issue.