Dialog System with Adventure Creator integration isn't picking up inputs

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
SpecificImpulse

Dialog System with Adventure Creator integration isn't picking up inputs

Post by SpecificImpulse »

Hey, all!

Loving the package so far, since all its features are things that I really wanted to have that Adventure Creator didn't come packaged with. I think I've screwed something up with my adventure creator integration, however: I can't click on either the Continue button for dialog, or dialog options. DS just doesn't seem to be acknowledging my mouse's input.

I have some custom scripts that switch input on the fly between mouse and keyboard/controller for Adventure Creator, but those shouldn't be interacting with DS in any way, since on scene start it uses the default mouse setup AC has.

Is there some setting I should be checking in either AC or DS setups that might be preventing it from accepting mouse input?
Tony Li

Re: Dialog System with Adventure Creator integration isn't picking up inputs

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Make sure the scene has an EventSystem and that dialogue UI's Canvas has a GraphicRaycaster.

If those check out, are there any errors or warnings in the Console window?

If not, what input system are you using? Unity's built-in input manager? Input System package? Rewired? etc.
SpecificImpulse

Post by SpecificImpulse »

I'm using the Unity Input System, not the Input Manager. No rewired or any other 3rd party add-ons.

That actually lead me down the right path. The standard EventSystem has that module has the button to add the standard inputs, but I somehow missed pressing it. Pressed it, and it threw a warning that it wasn't compatible because it uses the old Event Manager.

So I added an Input System UI Input Module component, and it SEEMS to work.

You think that was it, or might that break something else down the road?
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

No, that's probably it. If you switch to the Input System package, you must update your EventSystem GameObject to use an InputSystemUIInputModule instead of StandaloneInputModule or UI input won't work.