Losing changes when editing dialogue

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
robc123

Losing changes when editing dialogue

Post by robc123 »

Hi,

Every so often I lose changes when I edit dialogue. I make it a habit to save consistently, but sometimes I forget and go to another window for reference. Sometimes when I go back, a number of changes will just disappear. I see the window just refresh and undo a large number of changes. I think it undoes more changes than since my last save, but I can never reproduce it consistently enough to tell.

Is this a known issue?
Tony Li

Re: Losing changes when editing dialogue

Post by Tony Li »

Yes, it's a very infrequent issue that was introduced with Unity's Asset Database v2. We've had a heck of a time trying to track down the true root cause, so we're in the process of reengineering the data caching to avoid the issue entirely. That update isn't available yet, but of course it's a big priority. In the meantime, I recommend updating to Unity 2022+ and the current version of the Dialogue System if possible.
robc123

Post by robc123 »

Ok, thanks for the explanation. :)

I'll just try to Ctrl+S in the meantime as much as possible
robc123

Post by robc123 »

Actually I need to bump this again...

I was working on a conversation for about an hour, saving constantly and going back to it. Now, I've gone back and it's reverted to an empty version, essentially losing an hour of progress.

Is there any way to get back that conversation? This is a huge issue for me if not.
Last edited by robc123 on Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robc123

Post by robc123 »

FWIW, I'm already on Unity 2022 and the most recent version of Dialogue System
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

I'm really sorry. I'm currently working on a workaround for this issue. The issue can happen in a very specific circumstance when Unity reloads assemblies after recompiling scripts after having exited play mode where Unity's Asset Database v2 loses a reference to the dirty flag. A rework is being implemented in version 2.2.45 that bypasses the issue.