Problems using "Messages" to notify player of "New Quest" and "Completed Quest"

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for Quest Machine.
mroshaw

Problems using "Messages" to notify player of "New Quest" and "Completed Quest"

Post by mroshaw »

Hi!

I'm trying to use "Messages" to let the player know when a new quest is received, and when a quest is completed.

I have a "Notification Manager" component that has public methods that show a message on screen and plays a sound. Alongside that component, I have a "Message Events" component. It is set up to listen for two messages:
  • Sender: Any
  • Target: Any
  • Parameter: New Quest
  • Event: <Notification Manager New Quest Method>
and:
  • Sender: Any
  • Parameter: Quest Success
  • Event: <Notification Manager Quest Succeed Method>
In my Quest, I've configured as follows:

On the "Start" state, in its "Active" state, I have a Message action:
  • Sender: Quest Giver
  • Parameter: New Quest
In the "Success" state, in its "Active" state, I have a message action:
  • Sender: Quest Giver
  • Parameter: Quest Success
When I play my game, I see the following:
  • The "New Quest" event is triggered twice, when my character accepts the Quest.
  • The "Quest Success" event is not triggered at all, when my character completes the quest.
Am I using the messaging system and Quest "states" correctly?

Many thanks!
Tony Li

Re: Problems using "Messages" to notify player of "New Quest" and "Completed Quest"

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

First, why not use the existing QuestMachineMessages.QuestStateChangedMessage like i in the example code in How To: Respond To Quest State Changes in Script?

If you don't want to do that, temporarily tick the Quest Machine GameObject's Debug Settings > Debug and Debug Message System checkboxes. This will log a lot of info to the Console. You should be able to see when/if it sends those messages.
mroshaw

Re: Problems using "Messages" to notify player of "New Quest" and "Completed Quest"

Post by mroshaw »

Thanks Tony!

I moved the action from the "Active" state to the "True" state, and it's working as expected!
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Great! Thanks for the update.
mroshaw

Post by mroshaw »

Hi Tony!

I've looked at your first suggestion, using QuestStateChangedMessage, and it is a far superior solution! So I've scrapped all my rubbish code, and implemented your recommendation. Much better, and much more flexible!

Thanks again!!
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Glad to help!
mroshaw

Post by mroshaw »

Can I be really cheeky and ask one more question, Tony?

Is there a way I can use QuestStateChangedMessage to detect a "quest has been updated" kind of event?

I'm thinking:

"You have a new quest!" - when Quest state goes to Active.
"Quest completed!" - when Quest state goes to Successful.
"Current quest updated!" - when a quest moves to a new node, except for the first node after "Start" and the "Success" node - since those will already trigger a Quest state change.

Does that make sense?
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

You can use the same QuestMachineMessages.QuestStateChangedMessage.

If messageArgs.values[0] is null, the main quest state has changed, and (QuestState)values[1] is the main quest's state.

If messageArgs.values[0] is not null, a quest node's state has changed, and (StringField)values[0] is the ID of the quest node and (QuestNodeState)values[1] is the node's new state.
mroshaw

Post by mroshaw »

That's amazing, thank you!!!