Delete Save Slot?

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for Save System for Opsive Character Controllers.
GG-HSI

Re: Delete Save Slot?

Post by GG-HSI »

Tony, just one more question, before moving forward.

I think you said that the SaveSystem function you referenced would actually DELETE the save.dat file. But don't recall you saying anything about whether or not that file gets recreated, after being deleted.

In my original method, after calling Delete function I found on SaveHelper, I was also later calling SaveGameNow(slotNum), which seems to create the appropriate save.data file, if it doesn't already exist. But, since you didn't mention any need to recreate this file, I am wondering if the Delete function on SaveSystem will do this. If not, then I will leave line of code to SaveGameNow(slotNum), to recreate the deleted save.dat file.

Thanks in advance, Tony!
GG-HSI

Post by GG-HSI »

Tony,

Just caught this part of earlier reply from you that I didn't quite notice at the time: "Your Dialogue Manager should have a Dialogue System Saver component, which is what saves the dialogue database/Lua variables, quest states, etc."

My Dialogue Manager does NOT have this component, although I can add it. I have Dialogue System Controller, LevelManager and component called UI Localization Manager attached to Dialogue Manager.

Do I need to add Dialogue System Saver to Dialogue Manager? Looks like I have been using Dialogue System since 2017, but never had that component attached!

Sounds like you're suggesting this works with your PersistentDataTemplate, which is what I use for Saving/Restoring game data for the 3 characters. Is this true? But, if so, how have I been able to use your save system, without having this component attached?

Where can I learn more about configuring the options I see on that component?

See several save system components on the Menu System game object (a child of Dialogue Manager). But I don't see Dialogue System Saver component! Please, advise!
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

If you're not using the Save System component, then there's no need for the Dialogue System Saver component. However, you might want to use the Save System component if you're using the Menu Framework addon.
GG-HSI

Post by GG-HSI »

Thanks again, Tony! From what I can tell my Character Restart function is working as intended. And your save system has worked consistently for years. Always concerned about changing anything, when I'm not having any problems, but will try what you're suggesting, in the future. For now, trying to get my game through beta testing. So, so long as everything is working, only trying to make necessary changes and updates! Anyway, thanks again, Tony!
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Good thinking. If it ain't broke....