Scene Streamer and DSTeleport.cs / ARPG

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for Scene Streamer.
bohnstudios

Scene Streamer and DSTeleport.cs / ARPG

Post by bohnstudios »

Will this affect any of my DS or ARPGbridge data when loading and unloading scenes? I'm figuring out if I need to just break my city up into separate scenes or if I can use Scene Streamer. I am also looking at Sectr Complete's Stream as an option...you said in your youtube overview that you thought it looked pretty solid.

I have a city scene(s) with over 1,000 NPC pedestrians walking around. With my current testing scene, I can have about 50 npc's walking around and stay above 60 fps at maximum quality settings. Basically, I don't want the city buildings and other lower poly game objects to load or unload because I need the buildings visable from a distance. I was wondering if I could use Scene Streamer to load and unload my animated humanoid NPC game objects (ie pedestrians walking around), but keep the whole city buildings and other non humanoid game objects (low poly flying cars) intact.

I was also wondering how well Dialogue System plays with scene streamer, Sectr Stream, Audio and Vis.
Tony Li

Re: Scene Streamer and DSTeleport.cs / ARPG

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Scene Streamer should work fine for what you're describing. In general, in your Dialogue System Triggers, if you only want to trigger something by the player, you'll need to set the Condition's Accepted Tags to "Player" because the player GameObject won't be in the same scene at design time. However, with ARPG's player spawn system, the player is never in the scene at design time anyway, so you're probably already using Accepted Tags for this.

I haven't personally used SECTR with the Dialogue System, but some other large projects have, and they didn't report any issues. I've used SECTR in other projects, and it's really nice. It provides tools for automatically dividing sectors, whereas in Scene Streamer you have to do it manually. (Hey, it's a freebie. ;) )
bohnstudios

Post by bohnstudios »

Right on Tony that's good to know! I do like the simplicity of scene streamer.
bohnstudios

Post by bohnstudios »

Update...Scene Streamer works out of the box for me and Sectr does not...Sectr seems to be very buggy in Unity 5.2. I am leaning toward using scene streamer for my needs and that's after dropping $100 and 4 hours on Sectr Complete yesterday.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

If you decide to give SECTR another try at any point, the developer is a good guy; he'll help you get it working. Since SECTR is a more complex product, it's more prone to compatibility issues when new versions of Unity come out and introduce changes.

But if Scene Streamer is working out for you, there's a lot to say for simplicity! :-)
bohnstudios

Post by bohnstudios »

Yeah he is very responsive and really friendly....he's also a very talented developer for making such an awesome suite...I'm not even in the same league as him in regards of being a developer. There's just some current issues in Unity 5...specifically it can't currently publish outside of developer mode. This is a pretty big issue and it's not just an isolated incident and to me is a pretty big deal. I am very confident that he's going to work it out...when he does I might give it another shot. I'm a big fan of simplicity. I get frustrated when the demos for paid assets don't work out of the box. It's a deal breaker and I feel it's too big of risk for a commercial project. It seems that some other developers have been have Unity 5 upgrade issues. Since I've worked with your assets, maybe my expectations are just higher now. The scope of my current project wouldn't be possible without the work you put into your assets. To be completely honest I would have rather given you an extra $100 because your assets are such an incredible value and I think you deserve more... I gave his asset a 2 star review because it's advertised to work in Unity 5 and in reality it's not ready yet. I didn't exactly just spend a couple minutes with it..it was more like half a day of time that I wasted that could have been avoided had posted that it still needs some ironing for Unity 5 I would have just waited until it was ready before reading the manuals cover to cover and putting the time into it. Sorry for the long message. I just feel that it's fair to explain my feedback and I told basically the same thing to him after putting a lot of thought into how I would say it...like I said before out of respect because he is in a completely higher league as a developer than me.
hanahana

Post by hanahana »

you're probably already using Accepted Tags for this.
Graduated from Soran University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science