Integrating Dialogue text with Text Mesh Pro

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
geoff

Post by geoff »

I am interested in using Text Mesh Pro to do my text choices and dialogue instead of the default font renderer.

Where is a good place to start doing this work?

I havent reviewed all the source code as Ive been short on time, and a pointer to where I could make a single change to flip out the text rendering would be awesome.

Thanks!

-g
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi Geoff,

Text Mesh Pro is on my "to do" list. I'll include support in the next release.

If you want to get a head start, the dialogue UI system is designed so you don't have to modify any Dialogue System source code. You can just provide your own implementation of a C# interface named IDialogueUI. There's a starter template: Scripts/Templates/TemplateDialogueUI.cs. Instructions are here.

If you prefer, you can instead make a subclass of UnityDialogueUI (or any of the provided IDialogueUI implementations for that matter) so you can inherit its functionality and override only what you want to change. This recipe contains an example subclass of UnityDialogueUI that overrides ShowSubtitle() and ShowResponses().
geoff

Post by geoff »

Thanks for that!

If your next release is near-term, I might just wait.  I appreciate knowing where to look though, since I want to spend some more time getting into Unity's API and becoming more familiar with the plugins I chose to help make stuff.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

December 15. It's a small release, mostly a few small tweaks, and Text Mesh Pro support.
geoff

Post by geoff »

Awesome.  Looking forward to it!

Dialogue System is a great product.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Version 1.4.1 is now available on the Pixel Crushers customer download site. It includes TextMesh Pro support. If anyone needs access to the site, please email your Dialogue System for Unity Asset Store invoice number to tony (at) pixelcrushers.com. Version 1.4.1 should be on the Unity Asset Store in a few days.

TextMesh Pro support requires Unity 4.6+ and TextMesh Pro 0.1.46+. The API is different between TextMesh Pro 0.1.44 (available on the Asset Store) and 0.1.46 (available on Stephan's website). I chose to implement for the newer version. As bugs get ironed out of Unity UI and TextMesh Pro, I'll implement additional functionality for the Dialogue System.