Three Way Conversations

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
andrew2110

Three Way Conversations

Post by andrew2110 »

Another quick video from my game to demonstrate what I'm after and what happens atm:

Three Way Conversations

After the first battle, a conversation occurs between three actors. "Zina's Dad", "Zina" and the Player. Is there a way I can have two non-players in a conversation at a time? Notice that "Zina's Dad" picture shows up and acts as the NPC panel, but "Zina" is behaving like it's the player character.
Tony Li

Three Way Conversations

Post by Tony Li »

It looks like Zina's "IsPlayer" field is set True (marking her as a PC, not an NPC), since her dialogue nodes are blue. Go to the Actors tab, expand Zina's Fields foldout, and make sure IsPlayer is False.

If you want Zina's lines and Zina's Dad's lines to be onscreen at the same time, that's a different matter. If you need to do this, let me know and I'll post instructions.
andrew2110

Three Way Conversations

Post by andrew2110 »

Ah I see! Now that works great, but the NPC's Label is always set to the GameObjects name rather than the Actors Name. So in the three way conversation - Even though the sprite changes for the dialogue, the label is always set to "Zina's Dad". Is there a way around this? An easy solution I guess I could do is just remove the name label and start texts with "Zina: My message from Zina", "Zina's Dad: Message from Zina's dad".
Tony Li

Three Way Conversations

Post by Tony Li »

Add an Actor Name Override component to the NPC.

The behavior you described is by design. It lets you write generic conversations, such as a general-purpose shopkeeper conversation, that you can assign to any number of NPCs. When an NPC uses the conversation, it will use the NPC's GameObject name rather than whatever generic actor name is defined in the conversation. The Actor Name Override lets you specify a name that's different from the GameObject name.
andrew2110

Three Way Conversations

Post by andrew2110 »

Perfect, thank you!

It was turning into such a specific use-case that I was thinking it would be silly to support it, it reads as:

- Tap to select Ninevolt

- Conversation starts with NPC Zina to confirm selection of monster.

Works perfectly now though, thank you again!