Dialogue System conversation action in Adventure Creator.

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
Ooghe

Post by Ooghe »

I’m using AC hotspots to start conversations with NPC’s, using the Dialogue System conversation action onUse. I seem to be on the right track so far, but there’s one issue I’m hung up on.

The conversation dialogue that I have works perfectly using the AC action, but I am having trouble passing speaker and listener values to the sequencer.

The initial hurdle I had is that when I start a conversation using the AC action, I get an error to the effect of "Camera subject 'listener' wasn't found.” as well as "Camera subject '' wasn't found." which I realize is because the actor and conversant need to be sent through the AC action, using the Actor and Conversant fields provided.

But my outstanding issue is that I see no way to set the “Conversant” to the player, because the player game object is instantiated by AC, and the Dialogue System conversation action only seems to accept game objects already in the hierarchy. The action does not accept values from Assets, either, so how do I pass the player’s game object to the sequencer using this setup?

I tried just placing the player in the hierarchy at the get go, but this is presenting some separate issues, and I just want to make sure I’m not missing something simple.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi Ooghe, I'll look into this and get back to you. Assign your NPC to Conversant. If you leave Actor blank, it should default to the player. You don't need to add your player to the scene hierarchy at design time.
Ooghe

Post by Ooghe »

Thank you! I had just figured it out as you replied. It works now.

And of course, it had not occured to me to check the example scene, which I should have tried from the get go :)
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Great! I'm glad it's working. If you haven't already updated to v1.3.7, you may want to update from the Asset Store and import the updated Adventure Creator Support package. In v1.3.7, the AC() sequencer command lets you optionally specify a step number to start from in an ActionList. If you run into any other issues, questions, or have any feature requests, just let me know!