Can't get it to work

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
bag74

Can't get it to work

Post by bag74 »

I've gone through the first four tutorials step by step and it just doesn't seem to work. The only difference in my game is that I am using a 1st person character controller. For some reason, the wizard setups are giving me the error:

"GetRemainingDistance" can only be called on an active agent that has been placed on a Navmesh. UnityEngine.NavMeshAgent:get_remainingDistance()

Please help.

Tony Li

Can't get it to work

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Which first person controller are you using? If the wizard is having trouble recognizing it, configure the player manually. In brief: add a Selector (Component > Dialogue System > Actor > Player > Selector) and a Set Component Enabled On Dialogue Event (Component > Dialogue System > Trigger > On Dialogue Event > Set Enabled).

The Player Setup Wizard should let you add and configure the Selector. If not, just add it manually and configure it in the Inspector view.

Configuring Set Component Enabled On Dialogue Event is a lengthier step. Set the trigger to OnConversation. Identify which components on the first person controller should be inactive during conversations. Usually it's the camera control and movement control scripts. Some of these scripts might be on child GameObjects. Add them to the OnStart and OnEnd sections. Set the value of the OnStart entries to False.

You can find more information on the How to Integrate with Gameplay page.

Also, since you're using a first person controller, you probably want to disable camera closeups (since it doesn't have a body). Make sure the Dialogue Manager's Default Sequence is set to: Delay({{end}})

Here's an example scene that uses the Standard Assets First Person Controller that comes with Unity.

If these tips don't help, please feel free to send your project to tony (at) pixelcrushers.com. I'll be happy to take a look.